My Home Theater Klipsch Legends

CarlV

quote:

Originally posted by matthew2:

Are the KLF 30's bright??

No not at all. I've had many speakers and the KLF30 just blows them all away.

I recently acquired at a great price, a M&K complete setup with MX-125 sub. I found the mids & highs from the M&K to be brighter.

Anyway, I loved the M&K sub so much I've decided to keep it. This subs totally rocks and is down right scary.

This message has been edited by CarlV on 01-22-2002 at 05:08 PM

CarlV, enjoyed the photos of your system. Your system and mine are quite close in the speaker and TV department. I commend you for putting four KLF-30's to work. I find that using my KLF-30's for surrounds work better if they are facing one another and just a foot or so behind your head.

I also use a KLF-30 as a rear effects speaker in a 6.1 config. In my experience, placing the side speakers directly across from one another helps make a 5.1 rig sound like 6.1.

My biggest improvement, however, was building a custom motor board so I could use a KLF-30 as a center speaker over my 65" Mitsu HDTV. I used a KLF-C7 atop the HDTV for a year without any extra support... no weight prob detected on the big Mitsu.

I also opted for a cylinder style sub after trying many others. I have two of the first batch of SVS Ultras powered by 1,000 watts... and that brings me above the Dolby Minimum Standard for Theaters (121.5dB). I noticed you have your sub along the wall, have you tried it in the corner by your equipment rack?

I noted the mention of picture distortion due to the unshielded KLF-30's. The key is to be sure that the KLF-30 does not stick out beyond the Mitsu. And, yes, putting the KLF-30's up against the Mitsu does make for more movie enjoyment... especially with the ideally matched timbre of a KLF-30 center. I place the leading edge of the KLF-30's almost touching the Mitsu and then flare the rear of the KLF-30's out to aim the tweeters at my "sweetspot." Similarly, the center KLF-30 is tilted down a bit.

However, I also use a pair of Klipsch SB-2's as Front Effects speakers. They are mounted on columns and flank the room. They are driven with 25 watts each from my Yamaha receiver and contribute to a spacious ethereal sound stage that reinforces the front KLF-30 based soundstage.

It's nice to see someone else enjoying the Legends! cwm4.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Klipsch Legends Cavort!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, SB-2 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite Room: Cornwalls & SVS 16-46

Klipsched Class "A" Motor Home: Still in testing phase.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-05-2002 at 03:33 AM

Glad to Mike. I was going to take photos of each step but I didn't. I also have three KLF-10's not being used. I bought a new board for one of them and will try to photo document that process. One of the things I am curious about is how the KLF-10's will do as centers. A couple of others I know have tried it and they are ecstatic.

I am on my way out the door to do a photo shoot on the beach and on a golf course... not as warm as Florida but the surf is better! I'll try to get another photo up on the board as soon as I can. I had one up once before but it is now lost in the morass of past posts.

Thanks for the interest. cwm16.gif HornEd

I just got my KLF-30's and KLF-C7. I had to wait until wife went to work early this morning to try them out. So 5:30 am I am playing Alan Parson Project Best of CD with the power meters hitting 200 wpc on my Carver M500t. I couldn't tell if the lights were dimming or a optic nerve was weirding out. Anyway these babys are loud. I am glad that I got them. I plan to use my Heresy's as rear surrounds. Still need a sub though...

quote:

Originally posted by HornEd:

I noticed you have your sub along the wall, have you tried it in the corner by your equipment rack?

Yes I now have my SVS along with my M&K MX125 on the right front coner.

This just about doubled the bass I was getting with just the SVS Smile.gif truly unbelievable bass in my small room.

Mike,

before I had the KLF-30 surrounds I had 2 pairs of Heresy's, this setup never felt right to me, they just don't match. If you ever get the chance I recommend you get another pair of KLF-30's... it's a totally different experience. You feel engulfed in the action with the KLF-30 as surrounds...everything will come to life, you will hear things you've never heard coming from the surrounds.

Carl

Good advice, CarlV! Now, if you can extend your own good logic, how about adding a KLF-30 center and rear effects channel... it will boost you to a "live" sonic plateau that will curl your toes... and you are so close to being there! Seeing from your photos how tight the room is behind your couch, I would be tempted to put a KLF-30 laying face up on the floor behind the couch for a dynamite rear effects speaker. I would also toe-in your front KLF-30's to aim the tweeters at the center of the couch. There is no substitute for a Legends fan than a for real six way KLF-30 feast! cwm35.gif HornEd

PS: Even the significant others cwm38.gifit once they see something romantic and pro-fem like "Dangerous Beauty" on it!

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-05-2002 at 03:31 AM