Bridge a two-channel tube amp? (Attn: Mdeneen)

SWL

Can you do this?

Just getting into tubes with my two channel set-up as follows..........JM Peach ll, Eastern Electric Mini Max, Jolida JD 100a and RB-75's. This system sounds so sweet but I feel needs more power. The Mini Max is 8 watts including the Mullard rectifier tube. I can turn the Peach up about 3/4 of the way before it seems to run out of gas but before that it sounds incredible, very relaxing and warm with every bit of detail without "any" harsh or edgyness.

That being said, the Peach- Mini Max combo has got me hooked so if I obtained another 8 watt Mini Max would it make sense to bridge them if that is possible?

Mark if you're reading this, the Peach-Crown XLS series did not suit my taste. However, the above has made me "giddy" all over again. Thanks Mark.

I don't know about smoke....most Stereo amps can be bridged. But it's always advisable to contact the manufacturer of the amp for absolute information on doing so. The distortion will go up a bit. You may or may not hear it. By the time you source a second amp and go through the hassles you would most likely be better off selling your existing amp and buying a more powerful tube amp though.

Craig

Two of the same identical amps...........wouldn't need "level matching abilities" correct?

Correct, but you're not going to notice any increase in volume because both amps will still be amplifying a full-bandwidth signal. They might run a little bit cooler though.

Depending on the amp model and the proposed load....some tube amps can be parallel wired....some tube amps bridged.

Lower impedance loads are better handled by parallel wired.....higher impedance loads by bridging.

The challenge for bridging is a source for an inverted signal for the - connected amp.

If you bridge...keep in mind....impedance rules change....if you put a 4 ohm load on a bridged pair of amps...each amp will only see 2 ohms.....for some amps...that could mean trouble.

I know that you can bridge McIntosh tube amps or at least I know you can bridge a MC225 because I was running mine that way. The stereo 25 watts a side amp, when bridged is a 50 watt mono amp. To do so you needed to bridge the speaker posts for 8 ohm speakers you bridge the 16 ohm connectors and the common connectors. There is also a mono / stereo switch on the amp. I would suspect that the amp is designed to do this because of the switch and the manual having directions as to how to do it!

Josh

I know that you can bridge McIntosh tube amps or at least I know you can bridge a MC225 because I was running mine that way. The stereo 25 watts a side amp, when bridged is a 50 watt mono amp. To do so you needed to bridge the speaker posts for 8 ohm speakers you bridge the 16 ohm connectors and the common connectors. There is also a mono / stereo switch on the amp. I would suspect that the amp is designed to do this because of the switch and the manual having directions as to how to do it!

Josh

Thanks Josh. I should have been more specific in that I meant bridging two separate identical tube amps together, to perhaps double the output.

Until I can get a bigger tube power amp I think I'll try bi-amping the 75's with some ss Marantz mono blocks (ma-700's) on the LF's. Maybe that will enhance the output closer to what it should be.