RB-15 frequency response?....for recording studio reference work

Quaz

Good day all....new kid here.....and hope I'm posting in the proper forum.

I've been re-arranging my recording studio and would pose a question to some of you that also have a recording studio.

I bought a pair of the RB-15's about 2 1/2 years ago for the living room entertainment center.

I was thinking of trying them out for small reference monitors in the studio. My big playbacks are JBL4410s with flat frequecny response.

1) Is anyone using the RB-15s for reference monitors?

2) I'm also interested in the 'frequency response' specs.....where are the bumps and dips? I called Klipsch just now and I did not get the response I was looking for.

So, if any of you illumiaries could educate me I would be grateful.

Thank you and a great day to all.

Quaz out

Well I can't tell you how they sound but I have a suggestion. Get a sealed enclosure or monitors with front firing ports. Rear firing ports could give an unnatural, delayed/reflective sound in the low end which you don't want when you're mixing. This is unless your room is setup with sound dampening of course. I have a pair of RB-61's (they have front firing ports). They'd probably make a half way decent studio monitor. But my experience tells me that the Klipsch is SOOO accurate, you might have problems with the final master being played on NON Klipsch speakers. Klipsch speaks can take so much punishment (both in frequency response and dynamic response), you might not realize that your music will probably overdrive most other speakers.

This is just from my personal experience. I mixed a couple times on Klipsch, brought the mix home and my old Polks would crap out on the bass and treble every time... Because, I mixed the music for the Klipsch, not any ole speaker.

I like to mix on a crappy set of KLH, JBL, or Yamaha, then jam the final master on the Klipsch. [:D]

I used to use JBL 4408's as monitors when I was doing post production work... then I got my ProMedia 2.1's. The JBL's have been sitting on a shelf in storage ever since... right next to a pair of InterAudio 4000's.

Hey kcmcramer......

Very nice of you to chime in.

For the record, I've been using JBL-4410's and Tascam S1010M's (near-fields) since 1990 and they're still doing their job well.....then it's out to the truck stereo....then to the living room stereo.....and then all is good.

I've been writing/recording for some time and have never, ever heard of Klipsch being used as reference monitors or any sort of near-fields.

I would think, by default, that these would be 'frequency response tweaked' more for audiophile purposes anyway rather than studio reference monitoring.

BUT, I've certainly been wrong in the past and as I'm re-arranging the studio I thought I would just check with this think tank for some education on this inquiry.

You're comment being.....'Klipsch speaks can take so much punishment (both in frequency response and dynamic response), you might not realize that your music will probably overdrive most other speakers.'....is certainly interesting and I would have never considered that aspect.

I'll be lurking around here more often so thank you very much for your response and clearing this up for me....a great day to you.

Quaz out

Hey srobak.....

My buddy has a pair of the 4408's too.

Hmmmm......Promedia 2.1s'.....I've heard of them but not familiar with them.

I'm guessing a years' pay and both thumbs would get me a nice pair of those though.

A great day to you.

Quaz out

Hey kcmcramer......

Very nice of you to chime in.

For the record, I've been using JBL-4410's and Tascam S1010M's (near-fields) since 1990 and they're still doing their job well.....then it's out to the truck stereo....then to the living room stereo.....and then all is good.

I've been writing/recording for some time and have never, ever heard of Klipsch being used as reference monitors or any sort of near-fields.

I would think, by default, that these would be 'frequency response tweaked' more for audiophile purposes anyway rather than studio reference monitoring.

BUT, I've certainly been wrong in the past and as I'm re-arranging the studio I thought I would just check with this think tank for some education on this inquiry.

You're comment being.....'Klipsch speaks can take so much punishment (both in frequency response and dynamic response), you might not realize that your music will probably overdrive most other speakers.'....is certainly interesting and I would have never considered that aspect.

I'll be lurking around here more often so thank you very much for your response and clearing this up for me....a great day to you.

Quaz out

You know, I've never heard of Klipsch being used as monitors in the studio either. We tried it for a week to see what the impact would be. (I think we were bored and felt like experimenting)

LMAO I use the same technique as you. Studio ---> then to the car stereo--> finally the home stereo. If it can pass the last 2 tests, I'm happy - and then listen to it in the car on the way back to work the next day just to make sure. heh heh

Hey kcmcramer.....

Yeah....that's the procsess.

And of course, even when I'm (we're?) thoroughly sick of listening to my (our?) new tune that finally achieved a great mix.....I reserve the right to NEVER be satisified and maybe even re-mix again 3 months later to make sure it sounds good through to kidney bean cans with a 20 foot piece of twine as a conductor.....this is high impedence stuff here.

Ohhh.....what us studio sluts must endure!

Thank you sir.

Quaz out

Hmmmm......Promedia 2.1s'.....I've heard of them but not familiar with them.

I'm guessing a years' pay and both thumbs would get me a nice pair of those though.

Not at all... in fact - you are gonna hate me when I say this... Klipsch Computer Speakers :)

Posted Image

They make for some pretty damn good nearfield monitors... seriously.

Can be had at any Best Buy, or right here on Klipsch's store for $150 and under... (yes, I know how that sounds, especially when considering the pricetag that you, your friend and I all paid for 44xx series JBL pro monitors... but really... give it a listen... you won't believe your wallet)...

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-2-1.aspx

I would still be inclined to use my 4311s for mixing, even if I try the mix out out my La Scalas, Heresy IIs and auto system. The JBLs have better bass. If I mixed on the others, a lot os systems would be too bass heavy.

Bruce

srobak......

Ok, I'll keep them on the research burner should I upgrade. Thanks for the pics.

Marvel.....

Yea, me too...I've got a lot of use out of my 4410's and with any luck they'll out live me!

Thanks gentlemen for the time and responses.