12 hz to 50 hz monster sub. 115 db at 12 hz. Low distortion design. $1995

TheSoundBroker

On the way. Newly minted insanity sub. Not a DIY project but from the mind of two of THE most respected and acknowledged sub designers out there. 115 db at 12 hz was the goal with a single box and it has been achieved. Passive so you can choose your own amp, but that is the better way to go anyways. For those who need a sub that will REALLY keep up with a big Heritage system. We have numerous good offboard pro amps available to drive the beast.

Photos...can't do quite yet. Link will be up soon with images. Tech details...here are a few that can be released...

Dimensions...24d" x 40" x 36". Weight is still being determined with crating, but probably in the 225 lb range raw.

15" stupidly overbuilt active driver, 18" tuned passive in a bandpass enclosure.

Frequency response +/-3 db 12 hz to 60hz. This is without room gain and no EQ.-3db to 10hz should be doable with room gain.

Recommended power: TBD. 1 kilowatt is safe so far, but 1.5x this should be good. You'll need an amp with a stiff enough PS to not sag at extreme LF frequencies.

Time on this one is about 2-3 weeks out, As more details can be released, they will be.

Sounds like a TC Sounds contraption, or I think they're Audio Pulse
now? There's supposed to be a Home Audio division or something coming
out:

http://www.tcsounds.com/

The high frequency limit is likely the result of inductance on
the VC...and not a bandpass enclosure (but I could always be wrong).

115dB at 12Hz would require about 60mm of excursion from an 18"
passive radiator! That's nearly 5" P-P! [:o] The 15" active would need
to be doing about 4" P-P...

I would be extremely interested in some comparisons of performance
between this and the Danley DTS-20...mainly in regards to the clarity
of output in the 30-60Hz region.

I wonder how it'd compare to the Klipsch 884 that can do 125dB at 18Hz (in 1/8 space versus the 1/2 space in the link):

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/kpt-884.aspx

(which I think comes to about 116dB at 11Hz in 1/8 space).

I would expect a lot less distortion from the passive radiators...

On the way. Newly minted insanity sub. Not a DIY project but from the mind of two of THE most respected and acknowledged sub designers out there. 115 db at 12 hz was the goal with a single box and it has been achieved. Passive so you can choose your own amp, but that is the better way to go anyways. For those who need a sub that will REALLY keep up with a big Heritage system. We have numerous good offboard pro amps available to drive the beast.

50 hertz is the usual cutoff for tcsounds subwoofers before they start intermodial distortion etc

when you mention two of the most respected my thoughts goto ron and tom from svs. byt they are not 15 inch woofer guys even though they just made a 13.

Tcsounds is headed by Thilo and Deon does not work there anymore

Adire = no more

ascendant audio?

John Strike?

The only Strike or TC Sounds used pr though.

SVS did have passive amps tough....

Hmm I wonder who made this.

Nope. Not going to make THX standards and not intended to. This sub is ideal for those who have mains that are a bit more full range, such as Cornwalls, La Scalas, K-Horns, RF083's, RF-7's, etc and want something to extend the frequency response down really really deep. There are also a number of good midbass subs that could be integrated in with a system to extend the response range up higher (JTR Growler or the Danley Mini come to mind) for those running smaller mains.

SoundBroker,

Yeah yeah another contender. Get two Epik or ED largest subs,you are around a mere $4000 and will hit HUGE output(above 120dB)even below 20Hz.

Look at the Shacksters where a known forum member and tester has tested the 18" TC Sounds LMS-5400 with dual 18" TC Sounds PR's ,and tests them OUTSIDE. Your setup wont do any better. As the mighty LMS-5400 is THE defacto driver for super subs.Two such cabinets buldoze anything including the Danley down very deep.

This is designed to be the next step up beyond the ED or the Epik.

As for the LMS-5400...yes, it is an insane driver for super subs. It is also $2000 a piece just for the driver in the current company itineration and it is arguable whether two of them will "bulldoze" this sub down deep. Remember, with 2, that is $4K and you still need to build a cabinet. With these, you get the cabinets.

If folks want to DIY, I'm all for it. But remember, there are a LOT of guys out there who never will build a sub. They either haven't the time, resources, tools or comfort level to DIY. That is why I started this project. I wanted something that had more output and lower distortion than the ED or Epik and was tailored to fit behind a typical screen wall...and I wanted it to come in around $2K. It needed to come from guys with serious credentials that couldn't be argued with. I believe it has succeeded. That is not to say, I won't try a version with the TC Sounds drivers in them just to see how insane things can get, but guaranteed it won't cost $2K.

As for the Danley, it may no longer be the ultimate king of low bass output or extension...but it is still the defacto reference for bass QUALITY. Nothing so far has bested it and it is still one of the ultimate subs. Remember, even compared to the twin LMS-5400's, there is always something bigger, badder and more hellacious. As of now, for those who seek the absolute ultimate, no arguement, most output, make you die from bass sub, Danley does have the Matterhorn. If somebody has the budget, space and lack of brains to buy one, It does 105 db at 15 hz at 250 METERS...outdoors. Hook it to a room and it would likely damage the structure from the pressure output. I am a Danley dealer if you want to order one. It even comes in it's own shipping container...heck it is built into one. You can' t argue that it is the only sub out there that can be shipped over and over without having to worry about packing it up.

Found your website. Is the sub you are mentioning on that site?

Danley does have the Matterhorn

I've heard this name before...can't remember what it is. You have a link for this?

EDIT: I found it.

If somebody has the budget, space and lack of brains to buy one,

That very well could be me.

jc