Tubes

mark electro

I've always been fasinated by tubes; but have very little knowlege about them.

Where can I learn about Tube amps (and servicing older tube amps and pre-amps). Also how do I determin what would be a good "project".

I'm a commercial electrician with good soldering skills and tech. skills so hopfuly I can avoid being the "humin resistor".

I just don't know where to begin. So I'll start here with this thread.

Thanx,

Mark

I found these kits interesting and they have a good support forum as well. Course not as helpful as the Klipsch forum Cool.

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/et.html

I plan on doing the bottlehead single ended experimenters amp. I am new to soldering and working on electrical components so I am picking something with great documentation and support. I want to get several kits and maybe a rebuild or two under my belt before doing anything really complicated. My goal is to work my way up to the MagneQuest SETH 2A3 PPamp. There is a manual available for the SETH and schematics for a couple of other amps. Forum member Kudret built the SETH and his amps look great.

http://www.magnequest.com/diy_lessard_2a3pp.htm

That looks pretty nice. I wanted to try and build some BHead 300B's, but after talking to folks here, I felt more comfortable with a bit more power for KHorns so I got lazy/lucky and bought Mark's VRDs.

I'd still like to build some, but it looks like a tankless water heater and some room painting is on my short list.

That looks pretty nice. I wanted to try and build some BHead 300B's, but after talking to folks here, I felt more comfortable with a bit more power for KHorns so I got lazy/lucky and bought Mark's VRDs.

I'd still like to build some, but it looks like a tankless water heater and some room painting is on my short list.

I've heard the VRDs on two occasions and they sound amazing. They are also a tube rollers dream. I would like to have a pair someday.

Give some 300B's a chance on your Khorns and you will not be disappointed. I sold some 300B amps that I had and have regreted it every since.