Comparing KLF 20, RF 3II, & RF 5

J Tanman

J, i like 'em all Smile.gif it's really up to your own tastes, equipment, room/environment, price u pay, etc.

i have both klf-30s & rf-3 in 2 dif systems. i'll say, to me, even w/ various amps used, the 30s are the more in your face, slamming, rock 'n roll speaks. the rf-3 more refined & accurate. jmo

but they're both great. for me since the 20s are discontinued & selling at great prices on ubid, i'd take the 20s for approx the same price or less than the rf-3. actually i'd get the 30s for a few dollars more. but again that's just me.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-09-2002 at 03:07 PM

J,

I have KLF-20s and auditioned the RF-3s side by side with them before buying. The RF-3s are good, but I love my KLF-20s. Between the two, I think the KLF-20s win hands down. Also, to be honest, a major factor in my decision was the close-out price of $900 from my local dealer on the 20s last summer.

I can't get too technical off the top of my head, but, as I remember it, the major differences between these two speakers are:

KLF-20s

Three-way

Bigger drivers

Older/different material for drivers

Older/different horn technology

More "slam"

Probably not quite as well constructed

Cheap right now if you can still find them

Matching center (KLF-C7) and rears (KSP-S6) getting harder and harder to find

RF-3s

Two-way

Smaller drivers

Newer/different material for drivers

Newer/different horn technology

Less "slam" but perhaps a bit tighter sound

Probably a little better constructed

Easy to get great match with RF-3/RS-3

I haven't heard the RF-5s, but I better these would give the KLF-20s more competition. I guess it really comes down to personal preference--they are going to sound different. Some people don't like the sound of the KLFs at all. For the price right now, I think you'd be happy with the KLF-20s. But be aware that if you buy these and want to put together a matching HT system you'll have more work to do (e.g., try to find a pair of KSP-S6s; for a reasonable price).

Just my $.02. Hope this helps you.

i bought the KLF20's ,KLFc7 center no surround 6's to be found so i bought another pair of KLF20's,for surround's, it sound great in HT.When i listen to music only i run all 4 KLF20's on A and channel B,man it rock's ,people ask me were is your subwwofer at,i reply i don't have one,i love my speakers but if i could do it over again i would buy the 30's,and yes i have listened to the new 3's ,and 5's they sound great

but i think for music the KLF's outdo them ,just my 2cents,Mark

I agree with the other guys, Legends are much sounding then the new Reference series speakers. A cymbal crash or a plucked string do not sound as accurate on the new speakers. I dare say a bit muffled compared to the legends. I was surprised when the new line was only using a two-way design instead of the 3way from the bigger legends. I know it comes down to personal taste and all, but LEGENDS RULE when it comes to reproducing sound, be it HT or Music.

------------------

KLF30 mains

RSW15 Subwoofer

KLFC7 center

KLF30 side surrounds

KSW200 Subwoofer

KG3.5 rear surrounds

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV09

Pioneer Elite PDF19

RCA DTC100 DSS/HDTV

Sony Playstation 2