speaker placement

79superbeetle

I'm a newbie, so please be patient! I have a new home and want a system for my Sony Bravia 40" flat screen LCD. My room is approx 18' X 16'. A 19' cathedral ceiling as well. Large 12' windows to the left, a built in fireplace to the front. Each side of the fireplace has built in cabinets (which will house my TV) open doorway to the right as well as an open staircase leading up. Behind me is a large 8' archway leading to the kitchen. Is there ANY system and placement that would accomodate my situation? I have had a gentleman from Best Buy come to the house and tell me to use Klipsch F2 speakers, C2 center chanel, with S2 surround speakers, with Synergy Sub-10 or 12. He has indicated that because my TV will be at the side of the fireplace, using this system, I would be able to adjust the system adequately to sound quite well. I really don't want to have the huge speakers setting out into the room, so I am wondering if I would be able to build these speakers into the wall cabinets and still get good sound? Tell me what you think, please.

No prejudice, sweetie, it's just the way my room is designed, they will interfere with walkways and furniture placement.

Sweetie? There are some women on this forum, but I'm not one of them. Hope you're not disappointed. On second thought, I hope you are disappointed...

As for speaker size, I was joking. Whatever sounds good to you is right.

Islander...I am just looking for opinions and information. I know my room layout is not the ideal for a good sound system, so I am looking for the best reasonable set up I can achieve. Yes, I know there must be some women on this forum, like myself...and, dissapointment didn't enter into it one way or another...just looking for advice and info.

Yes, I know there must be some women on this forum, like myself...

Well, that clears things up! I thought you were a man belittling women and thinking I was a woman. I felt I was vicariously insulted and simultaneously emasculated, all by the one word "sweetie". Silly me! Your avatar of a masculine silhouette may have misled me.

Anyway, back to audio and the topic at hand. There's always a way to get a decent-sounding system, even in rooms that don't really seem suitable at first glance. Surround and even main speakers can be wall-mounted, freeing up floor space. Even the subwoofer doesn't have to be on the floor. I have mine on a small table, which gives a smoother response and reduces the amount of sound going into the floor, which is my neighbour's ceiling.

There's a free program called Arrange-a-Room, which you don't have to download (you work on the site and then save your arrangement) and that allows you to experiment with speaker, furniture, and even wall placement. It's at:
http://www.bhg.com/bhg/category.jsp?categoryid=/templatedata/bhg/category/data/arrangearoomtest.xml

If your TV will be off to one side, having it in one corner and your listening position in the opposite corner at the other end of the room might work best.

As well, all your components should be compatible sound-wise, but not necessarily cost-wise. The reason is that you may decide to upgrade your system over time, and there are lots of folks here who'll have ideas on how you can spend your money. Do you want a simple system that you'll be happy with, or do you want to have a serious home theater a couple of years down the road? For instance, if you get a higher-end sub, you'll enjoy it now and continue to enjoy it when you upgrade the other parts of your system to match it.

Your room is reasonably large. If you like music and movies at medium to high volume, a small system might not be adequate and could cause you to replace it soon, so it would not be money well spent. Since I'm not familiar with the Reference Series (my system is all Heritage), hopefully someone else will have more specific advice for you. You might want to re-post this in Home Theater, since that category gets a lot more views and comments.

Another question is whether you'd be comfortable buying used, or really like to have all new stuff. Klipsch speakers tend to sound good for a really long time, so buying used can be a sensible way to make your budget go further.

Finally, welcome to the forum! Take a bit of time and educate yourself to all of the possibilities that are discussed here. You'll have your speakers for a long time, so if you wait a few weeks before buying, you may be happier in the long run.

I agree with Islander, take your time. If the F-2 speakers are bigger than you like, look in to the Reference or Synergy bookshelf speakers. If that doesn't work, try the RX line or in-wall speakers, they are more costly, but have a much smaller foot print. I don't think Best Buy carries the Reference or RX line, so search for your nearest Klipsch dealer and take a look and a listen. If someone from Best Buy saw the room, see if he can bring a pair of the F-2 speakers over, you may like them and purchase them. At the very least, you'll have a benchmark.

Good luck

-Karl

Hi 79 SuperBug, Welcome to the Forum. There are a lot of swell guys here that can give you good advice.

It sounds like you have two typical problems:

1. TV is not centered on a wall due to the fireplace.
  2. Walls with large windows and doorways and stairs conflicting with symmetrical left and right placement.

So you probably have two options: In Wall or On Wall Speakers.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/lists/flat-screen-solutions.aspx

If you go to this link you will see many "On Wall" or "Lifestyle" solutions which work well with flat panel TV's and clean floorplans. They take up little or no floorspace so this may be ideal for your application. Oh and they sound great for their relative size.

XF series is the most expensive of the group. They are ultra stylish and expensive materials are used for maximum performance in a cabinet this size.

RVX is one of my favorite sonic designs due to their light and airy openess of imaging. If you have lots of glass though larger horn designs will be easier to optimize room reflections.

SLX is a very versital design if cost is more of an issue. They are a great value for their functionality and sound great too!

If you are able to install speakers in your walls then you may want to consider "In Wall" speaker solutions. My wife loves our new IW speakers. But your windows placement may prevent this option.

Heritage, Reference and Synergy systems are much bigger box design which will sound best but take up floor space. You could use the book shelf versions of Reference or Synergy with a subwoofer and have good success also.

I would imaging we have more speaker options than you need which will make it confusing to decide. The general rule though is that you will get more if you pay more. Any of the design you will be happy with so don't fret about it too much. The guys on this forum such as myself are very picky thus we debate about every little detail to get the ultimate sound experience from Klipsch.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you so much. I really like the sounds of the built in speakers, but sounds like for my room design and ceiling height, I should probably go with the floor speakers for the best sound. I realize I will not be able to achieve a "theatre quality" sound with what I have to work with, I would just like to have a great sound that I can listen to at low volumes or blasting, and still HEAR CLEARLY. I have read some of the reviews on a couple of the theatre systems which have helped me a great deal to understand just what I am supposed to be looking for. You guys have helped a lot as well. Thanks.