I know nothing about tube amps

matthew2

While it is true that any tube will eventually need replacement, tubes used in properly designed equipment can be expected to last a very long time.

There was a time when replacement tubes were difficult and expensive to obtain but with the resurgence of interest in tubes the costs have come back into line because of increased sales volumes and the resulting competition,although certain models are very expensive.

The capacitors and resistors commonly in use in modern equipment are generally at least as durable as those used in older equipment.A few years ago I ran a second hand store and frequently bought and sold radios that had all,(or most)of their original tubes and components and generally the parts that I most commonly needed to replace were rectifier tubes and electrolytic capacitors in the power supply stage. Generally the rectifier was a happy camper until the filter capacitor went for a poo and caused the plates on the rectifier to turn a rather lovely cherry red before suffering the electronic equivalent of an anurysm.

The record in my experience was a Majestic produced ca. 1930 which had All of its original components and was still working perfectly other than a noisy volume control in about 1995 when I sold it.

I am not saying that tube equipment is bullet proof but I do suggest that - It isn't nearly as delicate as some people think. Drop a EL34 on a tile floor and it is done - Yes - And run a Hummer into a brick wall at 70 mph and you and it are done too.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 01-08-2002 at 11:47 PM

tubes are light bulbs used to power your speakers, everything you know and assume about SS amps is no longer true with tubes,

many companies burn out their tubes quickly (considering the cost of some of them, I do not want to use new tubes every year), the best thing is to get an estimate from the compnay of how long the tubes last, other than replacing the tubes, since many of the other parts are hard wires, there are very few other things to go wrong ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!