sub sensitivity

boa12

i guess a new standard would have to be invented. like output at 50W/1M w/ a 30hz pink noise test tone.

i guess my main ? was is this info relavent to comparing subs like even some idicator of "speed" maybe? or do we just need this sub will do ___db at ___hz max output w/ a 10% thd limit? not that that's not a good way to compare subs. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

TBrennan,

You got that right

Only SVS and HSU and a few horn subs with the giant Pro subs would fare well in the 1W/1m at one meter test at 50Hz and below.

All I care about is houw much clean sub bass around 20Hz can a sub generate in my room.If its over 110 is good,if its closer to 120 it woukd be perfect.I did not find any non pro sub that can generate over or even close to 120dB at 20Hz.Frown.gif

My goal will be surpassed this year. Smile.gif I will attain over 120 dB at 16Hz(a couple of SVS SS will help me no doubt Smile.gif )

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ear---Your search for the perfect sub is interesting but you aren't really gonna be happy until you build 20' long concrete basshorns with 15'x15' mouths. :-) Have you seen Roggero's concrete basshorns in France, each driven by 6 Altec 515 15" woofers? 17hz at over 130db. Mids and tweeter are Onken drivers and horns, VERY fine and far-out Japanese horn gear. Gorgeous.

yea ears, or u could drain 1 of your indoor seement ponds & turn it into a sub Biggrin.gif

tbren, u remember what kinda sensitivity specs were on those jbl & ev passive subs? just wonder approx as i've never seen them for subs (because i look mostly at the powered ones).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-09-2002 at 11:16 PM

TBrennan and Boa,

One problem with your basement sub ideas.I dont live in my house and have peeps living below me! LOL

The building is solid concrete and has extra thick walls and floors.Its built like a bunker,this is why I can blast my systems and nobody ever complains.

If they can stand having to live in a bass horn and endure over 110dB of liver damaging bass it would be fine.

I have to settle for lowly 120dB at 16Hz,the 130dB mark is not for me. Wink.gif

Besides over 115dB is not good for any ears and health.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Sick stuff,sick sick sick.This is what I would call CUSTOM as custom can be.

The link secion is great.I did also look at TAD drivers,the prices on these incredible drivers are not for the supermarket crowd.Over $2000 US for tweeters! And you need to buy horns if you want to take full advantage! Another 2 grand! cwm3.gif

This starts to interest me more and more.Hmm I think a good large TAD monitors would be great for me.But the price! cwm8.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ear---I know a couple of sources for used and reconditioned TAD compression drivers at good prices, e-mail me when you're interested. The TADs are simply reverse-engineered JBLs with berylium diaphragms; Bart Locanthi, an ex JBL guy, was hired by Pioneer to design them. He also designed those very JBLish Pioneer APM home speakers with the film tweeter, those were pretty good speakers. The high cost of TADs is due to the Alnico magnets (money wasted IMO, ferrite magnets are as good as Alnico IME) and the high costs of working with berylium. Of course good compression drivers are expensive anyway but not THAT expensive.

TBrennan,

Right on the money here...

"The TADs are simply reverse-engineered JBLs with berylium diaphragms; Bart Locanthi, an ex JBL guy, was hired by Pioneer to design them. He also designed those very JBLish Pioneer APM home speakers with the film tweeter, those were pretty good speakers. The high cost of TADs is due to the Alnico magnets"

JBL and Altec are being copied and copied.Still the awesome TAD compression tweeters and mid-bass woofers are among the very finest.

Thanks for the tip about used and reconditioned TAD drivers.I will keep this in mind.

TheEAR(s) Now theears