Help, Moved again,need reassurance and/or advice

jdeanmc

Hello All,

Ive recently moved again and finally have a finished basement that will be a dedicated theater room(22x22)

Now to my dilemma..

i have synergy series speakers

sc-1 center,sb-1 bookshelf fronts,ss.5 surrounds that until now have been used for rears and a ksw-12 sub.I started off to shop for a new 7.1 reciever(looking at the yamaha rx-v1800)and getting sf-1 or sf-2 floorstanding spekers for fronts,moving the sb-1's to the rear and using the ss.5's to the left and right of the seating position.After reading and researching im torn is this my best bang for the buck or should i replace everything with reference series?I NEED the receiver as my old receiver is showing its age and occasionally gives me problems namely the volume half the time wont work with the remote and i WANT a front projector,currently have a 6 month old sony 50"sxrd.i could make do with the tv if the speaker upgrade to reference series would be daylight/dark difference or should i just upgrade the front synergy's and do the projector thing.

I know this will be subjective but i have nowhere locally that i can hear the refrence speakers so i have no idea how much better they are than the synergy's

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dean

Hello Dean,

Welcome to the Forum.

Without knowing your budget, here is my 2 cents.

I do not know where you can get SF-1 or 2 since they have been discountinued but you should check vanns.com they have the RF 35 on sale.

I think you should upgrade your center channel as well, not that the sc 1 is a bad speaker (I use to have one) but you have a pretty big room and I doubt that center can keep up.

Compared to the Synergy series loudspeakers, the Reference series should be far more competent at recreating music. They should NOT sound as if they are working hard at their job. Many of the tasks that pushed your lesser loudspeakers will come easily. Look for better definition of vocals and instruments, better separation between instruments, improved imaging, better bass definition and smoother tones across the mid-range. Multiple instruments playing all at once should sound less jumbled. Vocals should be clearer and more realistic. Loud volumes should be tolerated better, by both the loudspeaker and you. A greater range of musical types should sound good on the loudspeaker. More intimate recordings, such as jazz or classical solos, may seem more compelling than before. Experiment and enjoy. ;)

Hi and welcome,

What type of budget are you on? Do you want to buy once and forget it or could you wait a couple of years for an upgrade? Are the Reference night/day better??? [*-)] This is where the oppinions differ greatly.

I have the RX-V1800 and am using the F3 fronts, C3 center and S3 surrounds with a sub-12.

If you can wait to upgrade I would suggest to buy F3´s, the F1 or F2 don´t even come close to the Reference. IMO the F3´s can hold up their own to the mid´s of the Reference series. This is a price class of 1000 per speaker (RF-63). I could not test the RF-82 (600 a piece) but found the F3´s better than the RF-62 (500 a piece), once again this is just my oppinion. The F3´s are about 600 per speaker. The F3´s would also go better with the center that you have at present. So in this example you have a 7.1 system finished.

If you want to buy once and forget I would go with the higher level Reference (RF-63 or 83) and new center (RC-62 or 64). If you change to Reference Floorstanding then it would be advisable to change the center due to the fact that they would harmonize better (Timber matching I think it is called).

Or for that matter Heritage if you can get a good deal on used.

A lot of answers to this question and you have to find the right one for you. [;)] Go out and listen, your ears will give you the answer!!!

Ran

Well thanks for all the responses and for making me realize i got myself a kiddie system!!haha

I think im conviced that i need to upgrade.

I dont want to purchase alot of overkill mainly because this will be strictly theater almost no music listening or at least at any kind of volume also i dont want to spend a fortune on more than i need because i still need to do the projector thing as well as some sort of acoustical treatment.these basement walls are tongue and groove cedar so id imagine this is even worse than drywall and without any windows or window treatments.

ok so i need new fronts and center first? 6 inch woofers rf-63 and rc-62 or 64 as far as rears bookshelfs or surrounds?i really like the looks of the rs-52's do i need to match these with a 6" as well or will the 52's suffice,what about rf-62 fronts?whats the difference between the rw12 and rsw sub?will my ksw12 sub suffice until i can get around to replacing it?

Holy smokes this has gotten confusing.......So i should do fronts then center then rears then surrounds then sub in this order is this correct??

THanks Again Dean

I unfortunatly dont know the meaning of the term "budget"i obsess.i find something that i "have" to have and,well, have to have it?

With speaker purchasing though, i dont know enough about these models to what i have to have.

I would like to have an top notch system in the low to mid 2k price range unless another 500 to 1000 dollars would make a huge difference.

I guess id like to find a last years or few years old model that would suffice for what im trying to accomplish as i need to get the sony blk pearl front projector($3500)yamaha rx-v 1800 ($1000) screen(???) theater seating and some sort of sound treatment for the walls(tongue and groove wood walls)

I have tried to include a very crude room layout.if it works you can see my concern with the left rear surround.

%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5Cdean%5CM

post-18395-13819359757096_thumb.jpg