JL Audio F113..............

SWL

I got a chance to hear this sub yesterday at a local dealer in Chicago.

It is everything I would want in a sub. I just wish I had brought some of my own cd's that I'm familiar with. Music sounded great but the most flattering thing was how well it filled up the room on movies. For a "smallish" sub, it packs a pretty good punch.

I would compare it to my LF-10 on steroids.

The JL Audio subs are everything a compact sealed sub can be. To best this design in the same volume is a major task and would not be cheap.

With larger subs you can have a good deal more output. Sound quality does not change much,no matter what drivers and amp combination you pit against these compact Tazmanian Devils of subs.

Sound quality does not change much,no matter
what drivers and amp combination you pit against these compact
Tazmanian Devils of subs.

That's not what the measurements indicate... [:o]

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/8152-jl-audio-fathom-f113-new.html

Crazy
power compression above 100dB (which looks intentional so it doesn't
blow up) and the distortion is huge (as expected). I honestly believe
most of the hype about this sub revolves around its aesthetics and
price. There is no way in heck it hangs with better alternatives out
there...especially at the price point. Granted, better alternatives
will require larger enclosures, but that's a variable each individual
user needs to weight out individually. Personally, I only care about
the performance to price ratio - even in a dinky college apartment.

I've not heard the sub so there is always a factor of the unknown,
but I have a good feel for what those
distortion measurements will sound like. And 105dB at 20Hz is pathetic
output really. You would barely be able to feel it. It might have more
output at higher frequencies, but it's gonna sound like it's lacking
some balls compared against subs that aren't limited down low. I really
can't see it being much more different than all the Sunfire splatter
boxes people used to rave about.

105dB measured outside,GP. Take an RSW 15,RT12d and measure it GP...outside (20Hz). Then come back to me with the data.

All smaller commercial subs ...and sealed on top will collapse GP...when pushed as rthere is no "cabin gain". This poor 105dB becomes up too 117dB @ 20Hz in a room,no longer so pathetic huh,for a sealed.

And distortion,the human ears(perception) this deep is very loose,distortion is forgiven easy.

Plus as you may have noticed I am building EBS subs using 15 and 18" drivers in a net volume of 13-13.5 cu ft net(per driver). A well designed EBS is quite efficient and has tremendous extension.Distortion is not even to mention as these subs get close to 120dB @ 20Hz,add cabin gain...they loaf even on the most over the top passages. [:D]

lms 5400 8 cubic foot tube, 7 inch ported at 19 hertz tuned, 1000 watts red and yellow same spec wise except the red accounts for room gain while the yellow is anechoic according to winisd.

so the lms 5400 can do 119.5 db anechoic at 20 hertz sure does smack that jl's 105

post-13377-13819359943892_thumb.jpg

btw that is a single lms5400

its at 32 mm excursion at 13.53 hertz and 27 mm at 26.71 hertz, @ 20 hertz it is only doing 11 mm excursion

remember this driver can do clean to 38 mm and xmech is 50 mm. This is at 1000 watts though peq. The driver is rated to 5000 rms watts, the only thing holding it back is underporting (7 inch port is still under porting) and circuit box and the amount of amps you have.

For what it's worth, I made all my comments knowing full well that they're ground plane measurements.

Ironically, one of the most important distortion measurements missing from the data set is the intermodulation distortion...everyone always brags about crazy cone excursion, but if you think about it, crazy excursion requires crazy distortion...especially if you're trying to reproduce music that contains more than one frequency at a time. I personally don't care much for outta tune bass guitars so I certainly wouldn't want my subwoofer to make every bass guitar outta tune...

Jay,

I know,you do not have to sell me the idea the LMS-5400 beats the magnets out of the JL W7 modded (f113) driver. Sealed or ported,as the LMS-5400 is THE driver. As capable as the W7 is the LMS-5400 is the undisputed world champ.

DrWho,

For as sealed design,and a very compact sealed the f113 does very well thank you. It is not a sub to compete with ported or horn subs. You are the first who says the f113's deep bass performance is less than good.Do I sense some "negativity" here,take the best sealed Klipsch/Velodyne/Epik and compare @ 20Hz..GP. LOL We will see that the JL is not so poor after all. [:D]

I am a fanboy of no company. NOT not JL,not Klipsch,nobody...not even Sunfire that I once held in high regard.I promote what offers great performance at a given price/size/looks and built quality. If Klipsch builds a sub worthy of praise I will be the first to run around the forums and promote it.

Yes intermodulation...shhhht not so LOUD people may read this. It is a secret. [:o] At the levels people use these subs, the cone will never attain even 2 inches ...on peaks.So ...ah you get the picture. IM distortion and its pals will have not much place to take. [:P]

What is a one note wonder ? The Fathom/Gotham lineup are above all about quality of sound and built. Thos who speculate too much looking at MAX output(where the sub is pushed beyond normal use should sit down and listen).

Craigsub compared subs from small to very large,from inexpensive to not so inexpensive,the f113 ranks with the top runners as far as sound quality is concerned. And I do not need Craigsub, Ilkka or anyone to tell me the f113 is the eral deal for SQ. It is just great my "opinion" is confirmed by many online who also happen to know a thing or two about subs.

A one note wonder...take a Paradigm 1000/1200 these band pass ONE NOTE wonders do one thing well...ONE NOTE. Most band pass commercial subs are poor designs with one good thing big SPL. Sound quality...better stay far away from them. And well designed band pass can sound good and be accurate.