Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Jan. 28

thebes

One of the pitfalls of owning very dynamic speakers is a tendency to play stuff that constantly grabs your attention. Sometimes, though, you just want to kick back and let the music move you along, either as background or some sort of settled ambiance to focus in or, or ease you into some quiet time where you can think your thoughts and muse upon your musings.

When I'm in that kind of mood I'll often reach for the a female jazz vocalist or woman torch singer which brings me to this weeks selection:

Sara K, "Hobo", jazz, cd

She's not quite smooth jazz and not quite pop but what a sweet voice with an ability to get you to think. She's one of the stars of Chesky Records, a small label outfit that specializes in audiophile productions. I only own two of hers and wish I owned more. She does a mix of covers and originals and often has pick up bands and one or two male vocalists checking in on a song or two. I'll tell you true, if you want to hear the dynamics and real glory of the speakers you own you'll buy something of hers, or something by Chesky, because I doubt if you'll be disappointed.

So what do you have to recommend this week?

I was feeling a little bit country, but my alter-ego counterpart was thinking a little bit of rock.

Soooooo........we compromised and settled for some country-rock in the form of POCO.

"Head Over Heals" and "Legend"

Wonder whatever happend to Paul Cotton and Rusty Young? We all know where Timothy Schmidt went to, right?

Hope Thebes gets his Turntable problems solved ... between Mike and Scott, he should be fine .. meantime,

Still waiting for new CD's to appear at my door, here's what's coming, don't feel like writing much, will just list some:

Johnny and Edgar Winter : Together ..... searched many years for this one, just re-issued, awaiting B/O

Wet Willie : Keep on Smilin' / Dixie Rock ... two albums on one disc, English Import/ReMastered ... Keep on Smilin' very hard to find

Delbert McClinton ; Room to Breathe ... this will fill out my collection of Delbert until a new disc comes out

J. Geils Band : Sanctuary ... this also will round out my J Geils collection, they kinda' went down hill after this one, but they had a great run, still my most favorite of the Boston Bands

Eric Burdon ; Absolutely the Best .... never have enough of Eric Burdon, just so much out there is sub-par, this disc is Animals songs, redone by Eric without the original Animals .... He was the star, it was Eric, not the band, in my opinion, and I can't wait to hear this disc, to be honest, I bought it for really one song, Sam Cooke's, Bring It On Home ... Eric Burdon can sing that song

Well, that's my tale, Nothing NEW, just old tired tunes, from old tired Rock Stars, Gee, it's great to be Alive ...."Bring It On Home To Me"..YEAH...[H]

Old Buck Ster -- do you listen to anything that was released after 1977?

Your rock and roll music taste is impeccable and yet do you listen to any classic style rock like Radiohead, White Stripes, or Dinosaur Jr.?

Saying that-- I love Wet Willie's "Left Coast Live" the latest expanded version with Toy Caldwell guesting and a killer guitar solo on "Lucy Was in Trouble"

thereyogobuddy, Why yes I do, Dirt Farmer; Levon Helm, Saguitar: Alvin Lee ....I buy New music from Old stars ..... Many of the todays acts I just don't care for, alot of ways I guess I'm a snob about Rock Music, but find I have a yearning for STAX music, that good old SOUL music, home of Booker T. and the MG's, Otis, Arthea Franklin, Wilson Pickett, but the recording industry, for whatever reasons, doesn't remaster that work, although, the Otis double disc set I just got, is very well done, not overmixed, and STEVE CROPPER, his name is all over old and new releases. Bottom Line, when records were $1.99 and rose to $3.99, during that period, I would buy 5 to 10 albums weekly, I would experiment with NEW artist's, or buy a record because the cover was cool, or the name was different, but at todays prices, I find I can't do that, every purchase must count .........

Left Coast Live, it was that album that gave me the phrase, the RIGHT Coast for us here in the East. Lucy was in Trouble, awesome song, Many Wet Willie songs are awesome, Jimmy Hall had it down. The Southern Rock heyday, oops the 70's again, was great fun, but my favorites of that bunch, the Charlie Daniels Band, and Wet Willie led the pack. I liked Molly Hatchett, Dan Joe Brown Hatchett, Skynyrd, Henry Paul Band, Outlaws, all the usual suspects ... but ol' Willie was my kinda' music. Drippin' Wet is also fine live Wet Willie ......... boy, I should stop now, I can go on forever about this...

I like Music, period, all music, but that period from 1965 to 75 is where my heart really lies, artist come and artist go, but my passion for Rock Music remains from that period of time .... call me a dinosaur, a caveman, an old fool, I know what I like, and I like what I know ......

Rock 'N Roll isn't an AGE, it's an Attitude !!!!!!!!!! ..................... "Keep on Smilin' "

I'm the same way about '71 to '81 from the first album I bought to the last year of college. Maybe its about reliving youth-- love prog rock from then--

I try to find good stuff by new artists and I like some of it, but the pickings are much much harder to find good rock and roll -- is it dying? I bet you'd like the Derek Trucks Band -- the Allman Brothers drummer's nephew.

I saw a great Netflix movie last week -- about the Monterey Pop Festival-- you'd like it. It really went in depth about its impact on music (shoot--you probably own it!) What was cool was seeing a young Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn and the other MG's backing Otis--wow. And all the rest is killer. I was eight years old then so it was beyond me, but it sure is cool to revisit --

I just got a Derek Trucks band DVD ......... it's real good, Yes there is someone to carry the banner, a Gibson SG to play slide on. Never a Derek Trucks fan, until I saw Clapton's Guitar Fest 2007, first disc, his band backing his wife Susan, then her joining them for Clapton's ANYDAY .... awesome, and then disc 2, when he is in Clapton's Band, if you don't have that, you should really get it, and the two song bonus disc ...... ROCK lives. Huh, 70's prog rock, you mean like King Crimson, Fripp+Eno, Bufford,Howe, and Wakefield, yup, ground breakers......

I remember reading one time, That the music you listen to from age 16 to 25 most generally stays with you the rest of your life. I think that is a pretty true statement, I can't prove it wrong. I do find the older I get the more different music I will listen to, more open minded maybe. Don't get me wrong, Rock is where I live, but you know, Big Band music is great, Ray Charles is a treasure, Good music is Good music, no matter what name you choose to call it. I have many times tried to warm up to Jazz, but just can't seem to cross that bridge. Weather Report, NO guitar, but Jaco Pastoruis is one awesome Bassist, wicked good, but once I get past him, I don't get it.

So, The wonderful thing about music is, there is something for everyone, so many styles, so many artists. For me the Music is the Magic, the equipment is secondary. If given the choice of being Blind, or being Deaf, ............. I choose Blind, atleast I could still hear the Music !!!!!!

finally a place where everyone talks about their enthusiasm about what music 'they' like!! if never a better realm to learn and listen to new music you have not yet heard. oldbuckster, have you ever listened to widespread panic? they have that diry south sound with a bit of psychadelic flavor. i have listened to them since '92 and have seen them on many occassions. moe is another truly great band that has never seen much of a limelight. both bands are more in the jam band variety, but both are very 'musically inclined'.

Welcome ASkBob--

I saw WP at the SunFest in West Palm many years ago on their "alternative' night and was blown away--David Schools is the grooviest bassist-- only When The Medicine Takes really gets me though, and I've had many of their live and studio recordings. Medicine is a masterpiece to me--

OldBuck -- I've got Clapton's Cotton Bowl 2DVD to benefit his Antigua center and its incredible. ZZTop, Joe Walsh, John Mayer, JJ Cale, Steve Vai, and even sitar music-- I;ll check out Derek on the one you mentioned--

You guys heard White Stripes Elephant? -- its Zep turned a notch

First off, Welcome Askbob, I'm really more about the music, although this forum makes you want more equipment, this thread gets hardly anybody to join in, and respond, thanks for jumping in. I'm in basically Upstate New York, home of MOE, I read alot about them, and the past couple of years I know out Rochester way they have MOEFEST, have never really listened to them, but they do have a huge following. They are coming to Albany,N.Y. in March I believe. A younger crowd follows them, and old dawgs like me sometimes are frowned upon, but hey, we still Rock.

Theryougo, The Clapton you mentioned is the first one, and I loved it, Steve Vai, guitarslinger, loved him in David Lee Roth's Band, but he really is a talent, and who better to close the show,"the big little band from Texas", but you should really get 2007, the second disc alone is worth the price, Jeff Beck, Claptons NEW band, Steve Winwood, it's a must have,really. FENDERBENDERS ......... and ol' EC, I like him more now than I ever have, and Robert Cray, what a smooth singer, and guitarist he is. Thanks Buddy, I enjoy this so much more than all the petty little fueds that go on here sometimes, MUSIC is the Magic, although I have kept myself in the past, I find myself drifting into the likes of Levon Helm, Delbert McClinton, still a big Alvin Lee fan, ............ Classic Rock is where I reside, Classic Rock is where I'll Die .......... Long Live the Electric Guitar ....... So, let's plug in the six-string, and turn up the Amps ............. Jimi Hendrix was, is , and always will be the MAN ....... Don't forget Bob Marley and the Wailers ....

Thanks Guys, I love this stuff, hope I don't bore you ............ this is fun ....... Give me a rock band, some female back-up singers, a horn section, and I'll give you a big smile, and a ..[Y]

thanks for the welcome! you are never too old to rock n' roll! believe me, i know some cats who are older than i, 34, but who have really turned me onto alot of older stuff that i actually grew up with. i just forgot how great some of those older bands actually were. i remember many nights listening to boston, the cars, creedence, and so many more on 8 track with some monster headphones!! i recently have been listening mostly to older pink floyd stuff, primarily david gilmour. he truly has a feel for the music. not just another guitar player. i also have been listening to grand funk railroad. those guys can whoop some arse on many of their albums.

i have seen widespread panic something like 10 times. i first saw them in '93 at auburn university where they played a sold out show in the main arena on campus. that was great considering nobody up north had ever heard of them. that was probably the best show i have seen of them. on the flipside, i saw them just one year later in louisville at a small bar for $12... they raised the roof on that rinky dink place! their original guitar player, mike houser, died a few years back and the albums have never been the same. they recently added jimmy herring to their lineup when i saw them in indy back in the fall. they were once again having a good time on stage and it came across like that. they have such a big warm sound that really makes you 'want' to listen. they have several dvd concerts available, all of which are good. i am awaiting 2 dvd audio discs they have out. i will let you know how those are. 'til the medicine takes' is a great album like you stated above. the 'everyday' album and 'uber cobra' are really great as well. the 'uber cobra' is a live and somewhat acoustic album that has a really unique sound.

moe. well, moe is in a category all of their own. i have seen them twice in the past couple of years. let me say oldbuckster, if you like the guitar driven sound of the 70's, this band may just be your ticket into the new millenium!! they truly are a really great band. you have to get their dvd 'live at the fillmore'. it is in dts and the sound quality for a concert dvd is superb. the only thing better than one guitarist, is having two equally talented guitarist in the same band. that said, they each have their own distinctive style, but complement each other beyond belief. all of their albums are top notch music wise. the cream of the crop is probably the wormwood album. if they can only be talked into releasing some albums on sacd, that would be unbelievable. believe me, i will rant on about these guys until you give them a good listen. or rather, i will just rant on about them anyhow!!

it's all about the music for me as well. just listening to it on really good gear makes it so enjoyable. with all of the concert dvd's out, i'm not sure why i even have cable. if it wasn't for austin city limits and the weather channel it would probably get ditched. speaking of austin city limits, did anyone catch john mayer a few weeks back? i have listened to his stuff off and on, but he really put on a good live show.

The only thing I have by someone new is The DEREK TRUCKS BAND ; Songlines Live DVD, pretty good, different style, I would rather buy a DVD like this, than buy the CD .... I look at it like this, I have a Live CD that I can watch, or listen to ........ I like watching the Band members play their instruments ..... You mention Pink Floyd , now I have DARKSIDE, had it on Vinyl, re-bought it on CD, but nothing can touch THE PULSE,DVD, that is a fine show, great sound, good video, that is David Gilmore in the drivers seat, never much cared for SYD BARRET, and ROGER WATERS is just a cry-baby Rockstar, but DAVE delivers..........but my main collection base is CD'S ...... No Vinyl is not for me, been there, done that .... Austin City Limits is a fine show that covers many,many styles of music, don't like it all, but it's not about me, long running, well respected show ..... Askbob1, I like many of the old bands, a few of the new ones, but here is where my heart truly lies ; THE ROLLING STONES : THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD ! that my friend, says it all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "It's Only Rock and Roll".............. EH !!!!!

Some on this forum tell me I'm OPINIONATED .................... go figure !!!

OldBuck -- one of my fave Rolling Stones is Stripped, a live one thats largely acoustic-- the critics panned it and said the boys were over the hill but man it fits in good with my blues stuff. Mick's voice and the lead guitars are in tune and its beautifully recorded without being polished. And there are some OLD chestnuts on it -- its great hearing Mick singing "I'm free to do what I want any old time" in this setting. They sound they have played together for decades--relaxed and just great--

I also really like any old Taj Mahal--he sounds like the Stones with a gruffer voice--his collections are really good---

I'm gonna check out Moe--

Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise is great, too --

gobuddy, STRIPPED is a fine CD, I think it's one of their best .............. Have you ever played the video that is encoded on that disc, it's pretty good too, speaking of Taj Mahal, he's good on the dvd Rock and Roll Circus, the only two that aren't are Tull, they lipsynced, boo, and Yoko OH-NO !!!!

I really like "WILD HORSES" on stripped .............. 40+ years of real Rock n' Roll .............

thereugobuddy--

with the bands you have mentioned you like, moe should really be down your alley. i don't think i have ever heard a band so intent on the tone of their guitar's. the fillmore dvd is a must have and would be great for a first timer to moe. the widespread panic dvd audio disc's i picked up from acoustic sounds are pretty good. the album 'don't tell the band' is the best in that format. now i know why all the vinyl guys are into their thing. this album on dvd-a sounds the way it was intended to sound, but without all the popping and cracking of vinyl. they do however, offer most of their albums on vinyl.

oldbuckster--

being from the same area moe is from, you gotta try them out for home team's sake!! let me know if you give them a listen. don't forget about wp as well....

bob1, funny you say that, I saw moes Fillimore DVD, and didn't care for it ............ I didn't say they weren't good, just didn't care for it at that time, I'll watch again when I get a chance ......... right now I've got a bunch of new CD's to listen to .... Johnny and Edgar Winter : Together, finally showed up, Wet Willie : Keep on Smilin"/ Dixie Rock, Eric Burdon, J Geils Band ......... they all show up at once ... so many choices, so little time .....

Got to get tickets for the EGG in Albany, N.Y. ; March 1st Al Kooper/ Dave Mason double bill ......

from what i have seen of phish, no. although i have not really listened to phish. what i have heard of them i didn't much care for. they almost sound like a beautiful sunny day and bob weir got to sing all of the dead songs! what moe and panic both are good at is that they have a bright side with sort of a dark overtone. the high and the low if you will.

Shoot I like their jams -- every once in a while they're tiresome, but that comes from all the experimentation they do -- or did--

I just saw the Foo Fighters "Skin and Bones" DVD and what a great concert-- mostly acoustic with Dave Grohl chatting humourously and dropping f-bombs between songs. Fleshed out songs with four more members-- its a keeper--