Is this a good speaker combo?Please Reply

jdeanmc

Im upgrading my old klipsch synergy series system,am looking around used hoping to build a nice ht system without breaking the bank.

Looking at Rf-3,Rc-3 Rs-3 and either rsw-10 or rsw-10d.is the difference in these two subs worth the extra money?or an svs pb12 plus and the yamaha rx-v1800 or 3800.

Also looking at rf-35,rc-35,rs 35 with same sub choices and same reciever.

I dont know any major differences between these different models so i dont know if one would suit me better or not?

Cant really spring for the new 82's right now so im thinking these might satisfy me.

Room is 23x23x8 id like a pretty darned impressive system for 95% movies with clean/clear sound.have a ksw-12 sub now but have heard the new rsw-10d will blow the 12 away?dont know about the older rsw-10.

PLEASE ADVICE im tired of comparing specs and no one in my area know anything about klipsch so this is all internet work

I have RF35, RC62 and RS42 with a Synergy Sub12, and it sounds beautiful. The RC62 was a bonus as the RC35 showed up with a DOA tweeter, and the RS42s were a result of RS35s being out of stock. I think your Rx35 system idea is a great choice - though I would recommend a 12in sub either Ref or Synergy.

Except for movies - the RF35s _almost_ don't need a sub. Everything is being pushed with an HK AVR 645

Posted Image

Wow!i like your setup EAGLES and all

I keep reading about the importance of "toe in"on the rf-35's looks like you've done this.

I was concerned about center channel,yours being so low,does this still sound ok?im going to have to do the same thing unless i wall mount above tv and didnt really want to do this unless i had to.

Do you know anything about the older rf-3 setup?wondering if its close to same as rf-35's

Thanks for the reply

Dean

The system is facing the couch I spend most of my time on, and I am usually laying down, vs. sitting. Because of this - the center being lower actually works out ok. I am planning to replace the couch with some of the modular home-theatre seating, and at that point I think I will be mounting the center above and on the wall. I may experiment with removing the stand for the display and making the center act as the stand instead, but I am un-decided about that. Using the auto-eq on the receiver helped to resolve any problems there would have been otherwise with the lower placement of the center.

My next display will also likely be the 73in Mitsu, so I could just set the center on top of the cabinet.

You will also notice the 42's are up front in that picture - which I took while breaking them in so I could get all the speakers in the same photo. They are now properly located in the room, on stands at ear level. Toe-in is there, as you can see - although not very extreme (seating is about 10 to 12 feet away). This gives me a pretty wide sweet-spot on the couch - but the toe-in was necessary in order to achieve this. Without it - the horns were almost too directional

I can't speak anything about the RF-3... but I have heard some others make loose comparisons. Over all, I am extremely happy with how it turned out. Believe it or not - the Synergy 12 meshes in beautifully - but maybe it is also because there isn't a lot of demand on it. The 35's do an incredible job with the lower end, and like I said - with the exception of some really deep material in movies - I almost don't need the sub. That being said - I do not have a lot of reason to pursue replacing the Synergy12 with a Reference series at this time.

Hope this info helps, and if you do decide to go after the RF-35 set - look up "Sound Distributors" on ebay. They are an authorized dealer, selling 2007 mfg date units - apparently a special run Klipsch did for them and a couple of others, as the line was otherwise killed in 2006. SD took very good care of me, and I highly recommend them.

One of the RFs arrived with a minor ding on the rear corner of the cabinet. I contacted them and they said they could either replace it, or offer $100 off my next purchase as I was interested in getting the center from them anyhow. I took the $100 and ordered the RC35. This arrived with a DOA tweeter, and they again offered to exchange. When I sent it back, I received an RC-62 in return as the 35's were out of stock... giving me a $450 center for $180. I wasn't about to complain. :)

Then I ordered the RS-35's, and received the 42's as those too were out of stock. A $450 set of surrounds for $300. Again - I wasn't about to complain. :)

Here is their ebay store... GREAT folks to deal with, and I will be doing business with them again. http://stores.ebay.com/SoundDistributors-com-800-691-6914

Dean,

I am using RF3II for my mains, and am more than pleased with them. I have had the RC3II, RC35, and now the RC7. I traded the RC3 in exchange for the RC7 and it is a major improvement. Maybe consider this as well if you are doing movies 95% and can find a RC7. I am not sure if you would notice much difference between the RF3 and RF35 series. Both would be equally impressive up front, probably a lateral move. If it were me, I would probably base my decision on cosmetics. Do you like the black dust cover of the RF3 or the inverted complete copper of the RF35? RF3 may be had a little cheaper.

Dean ... I also have the RF-3IIs up front and I actually chose them over the RF-35s. I spent about 8 or so hours on several trips to my local Ovation store here A/B testing various speakers. After narrowing it down to the 3IIs & 35s I even had the audio guy to blind test both speakers against other brands and against each other using various reciver/cd player combos and my ears preferred the 3IIs over every other speaker they had except the RF-7s. I've been extremely pleased with my 3IIs especially getting them for $550/pair as they were being clearanced to make room for the "new" (at the time) RF35s. Mine are paired up with an RW-10d and have mucho plenty low end for my 14x22 livig room. Hope this helps and happy hunting.

peace, mitch

PS ... Dean, I didn't see what your budget is but I saw these RF-7s in the Garage Sale forum, http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/100256.aspx , and I wish I had the $700 + shipping for these bad boyz. Very sweet deal.