6.1 versus 7.1

Mudkicker

Hello,

As some of you already know, i am in the process of buliding my home theatre system around my soon to arrive Marantz 4002 (7.1) and my Klipsch KG 2.5. My goal is the have a 6.1 setup with two kg 2.5 and a kv 3 up front, and two kg 1.5 and a kv 2 at the rear.

My living room can't really accomodate a 7.1 setup.

My question is, is there a "huge" difference between 6.1 and 7.1? Will a be missing out on too much?

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Mud

The answer is...it depends. 7.1 in the way it is primarily used, gets you the advantage of more even coverage to the seats. If your seating array includes more than 1 row and is more than 3 seats wide, then having the two surrounds placed to optimally cover the rear row is a good thing. With a single row of seats that is either far enough away or narrow enough, a 6.1 system may cover the seating area fine.

i'm no expert but i have small 6.1 set up and i love hearing it. to me its a big difference over 5.1. i used a thx demo disk and it had an option to either play in 5.1 or 6.1 and there was a difference between the tracks. i by no means am saying a 5.1 set up "sucks" but since i have the speakers i use all of them. when i move into my home it will have a ht room and then i move up to a 7.1 set up.

don't know if that helps but it's my 2 cents