Tweeter buzz rectified....

wjfranke

Ok, I've recently set up some new gear. Am now running the Integra DTC-9.8, a Sherbourn 7/2100A, and acquired an Oppo 980 to replace my denon-2900. Have KLF-20's for front LR and surround LR and a converted KLF-30 for center.

After setup, was getting a very audible buzz from the tweeters, particularly on the surrounds. Ok, so start reading up on the internet to learn a bit more. Apparently was picking up some EMI from somewhere. So, started moving around my interconnects to see if it made a difference. OMG, a huge difference to my great surprise. I had been using Tara Labs RSC prime interconnects. They advertise that the RSC eliminates EMI and RF distortion almost entirely, and thus they employ no shielding for it. Perhaps they didn't take 102 dB sensitivity speakers into account when they made that statement. At any rate, bundled up the interconnects and moved them as far from all other wires as possible. My SP meter doesn't measure this low, but simply in terms of distance, the buzz prior to moving the itnerconnects was probably close to the same dB at ~7-8' versus post movement same dB at maybe .5'.

I have read about EMI previously, but was quite amazed that simply moving the interconnects could make such a huge difference. I always took the slight buzz (audible at 3-4') for granted due to the high sensitivity. I'm sure there are other posts on this, but did not see anything in my search and figured I would share with everyone.

I do have to comment that the combo of the Integra with the Oppo is the most satisfying musical experience that I've had with my setup yet. I've gone through 4 different variations of pre-amp/amp and receiver with these speakers. SACD's are the most detailed I've heard yet without a doubt. Listened to Willie Nelson's stardust album and was amazed at the improvement in soundstage and clarity. I would not normally listen to this album, but I equate it to my experience with HDTV. I will watch a program on HD that I would not normally watch in SD. Of course, Pink Floyd DSOTM is my favorite, and have been VERY pleased to say the least. I'm waiting on the blu-ray/ HD-DVD, but it appears blu-ray is the winner. Perhaps will pick one up in 6 months or so.

Anywho, just some notes for others to peruse.

Well, I need to clarify. I like the oppo outputting bitstream via HDMI. You'll have to have a receiver/pre-amp that can receive this. I had the 2900 running of a silver digital coax and then KingCats interconnects for PCM. It was definitely good on the 2900. I changed several pieces at the same time, so difficult to say it is only the oppo. I will say that the oppo at it's price point outputting DSD and PCM via HDMI is nothing short of outstanding. It's not as sturdy as the 2900, but I have a hard time seeing that sturdy construction and a high quality transport will impact DSD.

I ran into a similar buzzing when I got my Yamaha power amp. I tried the various cables I had on hand, but none seemed to make any difference. I even took the amp in to the local Yamaha dealer, A&B Sound, who were good enough to hook it up to a receiver very similar to mine and a set of Totem Wind speakers. There was no buzz in that setup, but the lower sensitivity of those speakers was enough to make a difference. At home, when I connected a Paradigm speaker, the buzz was also greatly reduced, but through the La Scalas I could hear the buzz from several feet away.

Eventually, I had a 20-foot length of Wireworld interconnect cable that I no longer needed cut up into three shorter lengths and decided to try the 1-metre length on the amp. Eureka! The buzzing was reduced to a very faint hiss that couldn't be heard a foot from the tweeters.

These Heritage speakers do reveal all. When I first connected the La Scalas, I was surprised to notice that I could hear a faint click from the speakers when switching inputs on the receiver. That was completely inaudible with the previous speakers. So was some of the music, of course...