Forte distortion

Shodrewken

Makes me sad when my gear goes on the frits. I think its just my right channel tweeter that is making the distorting noise, when someone is singing, especially a womans voice, is it really noticeable. I have pluged it into my two receivers (Onkyo TX-SR703 the one I usually use with these speakers, and my Yamaha that I have my cornwalls and sub hooked up to) and the noise is present each time. Maybe the diaphragm is bad? Or could it be the whole tweeter? These speakers are easily 20+ years old, and I know components, ie, crossovers, caps, diaphragms, ect eventually go bad. Any thoughts, if Mr. Bob Crites could give his $.02 that would be cool, and anyone elses is as always appreciated, thanks!

Andrew

swap the Tweet to the other speaker

That is what I would have said. I might add that usually, the tweeter just works or it doesn't. Notice that I did not say that is always the case.

You might first want to swap the amp channels to the speakers to rule out gear other than the speakers.

Bob

This may not be the same thing, BUT... I had one K75 that would noticeably distort during a Leon Russell piano passage... like EVERY TIME. When I took the tweeter apart (easy), the diaphragm was all that nice copper color so, I felt comfortable it was still good. On to the magnet. There is a circular channel in the magnet structure that the diaphragm coil is seated in. I have seen some with "fluid" in this channel and some without. There was beige-ish corrosion that had started to develop along the top of this channel. I used a hand brass brush to clean off this "stuff". Remember this is a magnet - SO NO Steel wool or anything!!! I sprayed some silver auto primer into the bottom of a can and used a QTip to reseal the spots that had developed the crude. Back together, and good as new!. I have a 'few' sets of Forte's and end up pulling all of the tweeters. They ALL showed corrosion to one degree or another. I live a block from the ocean, and the house is opened pretty much all Summer, so this MAY BE the source of MY problem. I also put a dap of super glue on the riveted edge of the diaphragm connectors. Those rivets can loosen up over time, and you can easily break the coil connection if this happens. You could look.

Luck

j

• 1 month later...

So I finally got a chance to switch the tweet to other speaker and I got still got distortion. So how should I go about fixing this? Is there a part I can get from Bob that I can install myself to the tweeter or should I just buy a new one? And while I'm at it, would it be a good idea to get a new xo in there as well?

Thanks,

Andrew

It's rarely the crossover but for some reason the easy culprit to blame.

Original Klipsch diaphragms are avaiable for most of our popular speakers. It's an easy change, we wouldn't sell it if we didn't think you could do it.

Call parts at 1-800-554-7724 ext 1048. Russ, Jeremy or Steve can help you out. Ext 1004 for Tech support.