Made Out Like A Fat Rat

tom b. 57

Last week when I purchased my Speakerlab Khorns the seller gave me a Luxman R-117 receiver and an old Denon cd player. I got a killer deal on the Khorns as it was. The seller told me that the R-117 had a channel going out and if I didn't take it he was going to throw it out. Well, tonight I finally plugged it in and checked it out. The left channel was scratchy and cutting out intermittently. So, I got out the old Deoxit and hit all the pots and worked them back and forth for a while and like a miracle the darn thing plays beautifully now. It does have one issue though. When there is power to it you can here a buzzing noise through the speakers even when there is no source selected and with speaker volume all the way down. I am wondering if this could be an easy fix or if this is a symptom of something serious. When there is music playing you can't here the buzz. It does not get louder with the volume. Any ideas? Also, when I had my Sansui plugged in, as soon as I plugged in the Luxman to the outlet I heard a little pop noise over the speakers hooked to the Sansui. I thought that was pretty strange.

Tom

leave it on for 24 hrs and check the buzz issue again....if it improves...there's a bad cap somewhere....since it is unlikely the unit has dual power supplies, it's not likely to be a power supply issue since you said it's only in one channel.....if it has split power supplies....then power supplies could be suspect....could also be a bad ground on one side of the unit.