Harmon Kardon AVR 520 as Pre-amp

Craig6519

Ok heres my dilema, I have everthing I need for 6.1, I have two Acurus 200x3 amps, and all the speaks needed for a 6.1 setup, just look at my signature. The problem Is my Yamaha DSP-A1 will not do 6.1, as much as I love It I'm ready to upgrade. However I can't afford a 2,000+ pre-amp and I really am fed up with waiting with outlaw. So for the price the Harmon Kardon 520 seems to be loaded with features that I really like, do any of you guys out there use the H/K as a pre-amp? Would very much appreciate your assistance.

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains (OAK)

Klipsch KLF-C7 Front Center (OAK)

Klipsch KLF-C7 Rear Center (Awaiting 6.1)

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS+ Sub's (coming soon)

Samson S1000 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

(2)Acurus 200x3

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Sony S565D DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Hey Craig.Don't have an answer for your HK question but sure would like to hear your system when you get the pre setup. Should sound GREAT!

After assembling all those wonderful pieces that you now own,I would be very careful in the selection of the pre/pro.Since you don't want to lay out 2K right now,have you thought about maybe a decent receiver in lieu of a preamp-processor? Say maybe a Denon 3802 at ~$800? Just a thought.Good luck to you.

Keith

or craig, if u don't have to have the true built-in decoders for es/ex matrix or es 6.1 discrete (not much out there in this so far), u could use a prologic receiver laying around, or buy 1, for a low cost 6.1 matrix solution. we were talkin about that on some other thread.

also, aab has his parasound 4sale, a device that'll turn your existing 5.1's rear outputs into 6.1 matrix. just a thought.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-13-2002 at 10:54 PM

Craig, YES you can use an HK av receiver for a pre amp. It is probably the best choice for you right now. I bought my HK AVR 65 from a guy locally that used it as a pre amp w/ his HK signature amp. He said it was great!

Of course its not as good as an actuall pre amp but it will sound good.

Regards Monty R

Here are the features of the 520. Well TTK, the Harmon Kardon is a true reciever, is'nt it? also boa12 if you read some of the features that i've cut and pasted you'll see that thr H/K has true DTS-ES and Logic 7 which I think is pretty cool too. It also has 8 channel direct inputs. besides DD-ES, is it missing anything else?

AVR 520

7.1-Channel Audio/Video Receiver With Dolby® Digital, DTS®, Logic 7®, VMAx® and HDCD® Decoding

With the AVR 520, Harman Kardon begins a new era in the history of the popularly priced audio/video receiver. Its 7.1-channel surround sound processing opens the door to a variety of new surround modes, such as DTS-ES® 6.1-channel decoding, 7.1 channels of Harman Kardon's exclusive Logic 7, and 8-channel direct inputs. Other advanced features include wideband, HDTV-ready component video switching; HDCD; MP3; Dolby Pro Logic® II; VMAx; 6 digital inputs and 3 outputs; front-panel A/V inputs and a coax digital input switchable to output mode; and a backlit, programmable EzSet remote control.

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains (OAK)

Klipsch KLF-C7 Front Center (OAK)

Klipsch KLF-C7 Rear Center (Awaiting 6.1)

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS+ Sub's (coming soon)

Samson S1000 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

(2)Acurus 200x3

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Sony S565D DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

This message has been edited by Craig6519 on 01-14-2002 at 03:06 AM

craig, definitely wasn't dissin the hk. Smile.gif just throwing in a way to save about $500 & still do 6.1 matrix. Smile.gif

that hk does have all the features/decoding. also DPL II, & that logic 7 seems great - they put that in the lexicon pre/pros. but those go for $5-12k Smile.gif that 7 does at least the same thing as DD EX. nice unit for just around $700.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-14-2002 at 03:38 AM

craig, i wasn't trying to come across like u were trying to come across that way. this damn medium Biggrin.gif how is it for upgradability? that's something i valued for getting a seperate. well, at least the capability & intent for upgrades. Biggrin.gif

for that look to see if it has an rs-232 port. also an ieee jack is nice for future tech changes like a firewire. then again for that price u can't ask 2much.

for the hiss, is there anyway u can hook it up & demo it w/ your sys? i'd do that if it's an issue. only way to really know.

i can't find really any format it doesn't have. thx i guess, though that's more like an equalizer type enhancement. not a format.

EX is a joint developement of dolby & thx (lucasfilms).

at 1st they called it thx ex surround, but now were seeing dolby digital EX too. same thing. it uses a matrixing process for the rear centers & all u need at least is a generic decoder that'll do "6.1/7.1", like logic 7, or that way i 1st mentioned above.

it's not discrete 6.1 or "7.1 channels" like dts es discrete does. it uses surround info from the RR & LR channels in 5.1 to do a blended "channel(s)". like prologic does for the front center channel.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Hi Again Boa12, No it would appear that the H/K is not upgradeable, but your right for that price then what would anyone expect. I was not aware that DD-EX and Logic 7 were similar, that was a concern of mine as i didn't want to miss out on dd-ex unless it also came with dts-es as i prefer dts to dd anyway.

Craig

This message has been edited by Craig6519 on 01-15-2002 at 04:51 PM