Need Advice - New 5.1 system

chef13007

Hey everyone,

So I'm putting together a new home theatre system. Starting from scratch. I've got a Mitsubishi HC4900 1080p projector for viewing, but of course need to add a nice sound system to it. I've been looking around at Best Buy and eyeing the following: B-3, S-3, C-3, and Sub-12. I also need a receiver, so tackling that is an issue as well. I am on a budget, and would like to keep the speakers/sub/receiver at the $2000 mark. So any suggestions on speakers/sub/receivers? The receivers MUST have HDMI and component. Audio through HDMI would be nice, but not a necessity. I'm open to ordering online if the prices are right as well. Thanks everyone!!

Ok, so I've got a few ideas for receivers now. How about the speakers? Anyone strongly against one or the other? I see a lot of people on here going for the reference series and I was just wondering about some of the differences between the Synergy and Reference series. My budget also went up a little, so I'm going to go ahead and make the 5.1 a 7.1

• Moderators

Anyone strongly against one or the other?

This is probably not the write question to ask. Some here would say get the Jubilees! Others would recommend the Klipschorns, some would say RF-7's or RF-83's....

If you can answer the following questions, it will help us out in making suggestions:

1. How large is your room?

2. How large is your screen?

3. What percentage do you listen to Music and Movies (ex. 25% music, 75% movies)?

4. What is your new budget?

5. Are there any limitations with WAF (Wife Approval Factor)?

Personally, I prefer the Reference line. They look nicer and have a fuller sound to them. In general, the Reference Series is more expensive than the Synergy Series so again, your budget will help determine which direction you should lean towards.

The room is about 25'x40' Screen size is 6'x10' or about a 12' diagonal. Really it's probably pretty close to 85% movies/high def tv shows and 15% music. Nearly the entire room is carpeted except for a 10'x10' area in the back near a patio door - it's tiled. No real limitations as far as WAF, but I would like to keep everything off the floor. So it'll either have to be mountable, or more than likely, I'll be building tilted shelves. New budget is probably closer to 2500 now. I definitely want a full sound, but with accurate highs and big lows. I'm a sound engineer on the side, so I know what sounds good. I've just never heard the reference series.

• Moderators

You have a huge room to work with. If you are looking for bookshelf for mains, might want to look at the RB-81's. I've heard the RB-61's and they sound really nice. Not much bottom end. The RB-81's, RC-62, RB-61, and the RW-12d retail for $2300. You can get them cheaper than that through your local dealer (probably 15 - 25% off retail), especially if you are buying a package deal. That would leave you with $500 for a receiver and with the list that I gave you earlier, you would probably be set. I think that would be a great setup for a $2500 budget.

Do you want all new? If new isn't a requirement, you can get some good deals on older models.

Anyone else have any opinions?

Thanks for the advice. I really don't know anyplace close to me that carries the higher end reference stuff. I'm in Columbus, Ohio a lot but frequently travel to Springfield/Dayton, Ohio area. I'd be all right with older "closeout" type models, but I don't know about buying used.

Thanks for all your help so far!

• Moderators

I think for your theater room, I would definitely go with the Reference Line. Did you try using the Dealer Locator?

Might could go this route using Vanns.com...

RB-35 - $218.00 (currently out of stock though)

RC-35 - $299.00

RS-35 - $229.00

Looks like a pretty good bang for your buck setup. That would leave you with plenty for a receiver and a kickin sub. Not sure how the RB-35 compares with the RB-81. They both use an 8" woofer.

As always, FREE shipping with Vanns.

• Moderators

I know you said you would rather keep everything off the floor, but it would help to at least have the 2 mains be floor-standing models. Considering the size of your room, 25X40 is a big space to try and cover with bookshelf speakers.

You don't want to be sorry in a few months, 2 mains on the floor and the rest on the walls would not look bad, plus for just 2 ch you would have a nice pair up front.

Just a thought ?

Almost forgot welcome to the forum ! [;)]