Opinions on Denon 3808 and Pioneer VSX-94 with Klipsch

erdric

I'm in the middle of researching a new receiver purchase and I was wondering if anyone here using either of these receivers would be willing to post your thoughts on them. I'm having a hard time deciding between the two of them. I've listened to both at my local BB paired with RF82's. To be honest, I thought both receivers sounded warm but less detailed/clear than I expected them to be. I'm wondering if it was the receivers or just the way the RF82's sound. I'm so used to the way my Forte II's sound that anything else sounds odd to my ears.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any opinions on these two receivers. I'd especially like to hear what people think about the power output of the Pio. The recent S&V review wasn't kind to the 94 with 7 channels driven (61 wpc vs the stated 140). I know the Forte II's are very sensitive but I still don't like the thought of a receiver that drops so far below its rating.

It has been my experience that trying to demo the RF82 at Best Buy/Magnolia stores have not been satisfactory. I dont know if it is the room or how they have the speakers positioned (probably both) but I did not like how they sounded. When I go down to my regular dealer I get a much different audition. Of course he has the 82's in a much bigger room and not just thrown into the demo room against the wall. The downside of it all is they (dealer) are trying to cut down on inventory costs, so they do not have alot of the receivers connected like a Best Buy would. I am in the same boat trying to find a new receiver, and leaning toward the Denon3808.

I guess I am just saying to be careful when auditioning any speakers/receivers in Best Buy. It will sound totally different in YOUR room.

I think that I must have been unclear. I don't want to switch from the Forte II's to the RF's. I was only using the RF's because that's what they had in the store and I figured the RF's would be better than listening to a non-Klipsch. I'm interested in what people think of the Pioneer or Denon with Klipsch in general, not just the RF's. For that matter, I've recently come across the Marantz sr7002 and added that to the short list.

Man, no offense to RF owners but I shudder at the thought of replacing my OO Forte II's with those. I LOVE my speakers.

It has been my experience that trying to demo the RF82 at Best Buy/Magnolia stores have not been satisfactory. I dont know if it is the room or how they have the speakers positioned (probably both) but I did not like how they sounded. When I go down to my regular dealer I get a much different audition. Of course he has the 82's in a much bigger room and not just thrown into the demo room against the wall. The downside of it all is they (dealer) are trying to cut down on inventory costs, so they do not have alot of the receivers connected like a Best Buy would. I am in the same boat trying to find a new receiver, and leaning toward the Denon3808.

I guess I am just saying to be careful when auditioning any speakers/receivers in Best Buy. It will sound totally different in YOUR room.

I have not been happy with bestbuy too in the magnolia. I think its the imput device that they use that messes with the sound.