First impressions of my new Blu-Ray player

DTLongo

What do PS3's cost? Is it a better option than the OPPO because it is a BluRay player? Does it play DVD-A in addition to SACD? How does the SACD/CD player sound in comparison to the OPPO? Anyone heard both? I could connect to both my Scott 299b and my Sony HT receiver simultaneously?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm real close to pulling the trigger on one.

Tom - Thanks for letting me hijack the thread temporarily.

• 1 month later...

The PS3 ia a great idea, good graphics processor and priced relative to my Blu-Ray drive which is Writeable, so I can make archive copies of my new BD's or just rip the movie part into an avi, and put several avi files on a BD disk. Sure I'd love a PS3, but I am starting to develop an addiciton to PC based games, I don't need another gaming console.

I'm more of a "True Romance", "Pulp Fiction kind of guy. ALthough I do the new Star Wars trilogy on occasion and I do game. I bought an LG Blu-Ray burner through newegg.com and my slysoft software has no problem handling it. My TV isn't HD, I'm holding out for another year.

I may buy another LG Blu-ray burner for the Linux machine, but the drivers may be lacking for it. I guess I hanging on for Windoze 7.

Are you guys POSITIVE that the 40GB PS3's play SACD discs. I only assume they don't since they removed the SACD logo from the machine. Can some confirm this? This(and the backwards compatibility thing) is what has been holding me back from a purchase.

Are you guys POSITIVE that the 40GB PS3's play SACD discs. I only assume they don't since they removed the SACD logo from the machine. Can some confirm this? This(and the backwards compatibility thing) is what has been holding me back from a purchase.

Only the 60 and 80 GB can play SACD. The 40GB cannot, i have tried it on my 40 GB and it doesnt. On my friends 80 GB it does.