Tube amp

New or used. (i'm not looking to spend much, <700 if possible). I'm not sure what you mean by integrated or power amp. Is amp just stereo rca inputs and power outputs? It doesnt have to be american if it sounds nice. And power shouldnt be a big issue since the rf-5s are pretty efficent at 99db/1watt and I probably wont crank them. Thanks for the help; i'm very new to tube amps (the mcintosh was the first i've played with)

Based on your budget, I would consider a used TAD-60 on Audiogon. Great amp for the money and it can be used as a single input integrated as well. I use Rogue amps and love them. The rogue 88s and 90s are really good for the money.

I know others on the forum love the old Scott integrated amps, but there are alot of good offerings under your budget that won't require the service.

Klipsch speakers do like quality amplification. Most are very truthful speakers. Garbage in - garbage out.

Good luck.

Oh there are plenty of tube amp brands. Check in with Craig Otsby at nosvalves.com he occaisonally has interesting stuff for sale. For 700 bucks you could more than likely find a rebuilt Scott or Dynaco if you look around.

Josh

There are indeed plenty of tube amp manufacturers out there...also check eBay or AudiogoN for starters.

By the way, an integrated amp is like a stereo receiver but without the tuner section...an amp and preamp rolled into one chassis. If you already have a preamplifier to control your sources and to adjust volume, balance and tone, then a stereo amplifier (like the McIntosh MC225 you heard) is all you need.

The TAD-60 is designed by Paul Grzybek of Tube Audio Design and built by the same Hong-Kong firm BEZ that built my own 300B SET amp. Although I have never heard the 50Wpc TAD-60, I can attest from my BEZ amp and preamp that they're well built and affordable tube components that mate well with Klipsch (I've used Cornwalls, KG-5.5s and my present RB-75s satisfactorily):

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/TAD-60.html

Like Josh said, go on Craig's site: http://www.nosvalves.com/ and see what classic tube amps he has available. Or go on eBay and find one similar to what Craig restores (H.H. Scott, Dynaco, Fisher, Pilot, EICO, Heathkit, et al) that's within your budget and then send it off to him to do his magic. After Craig's done with it, you'll essentially have a brand new tube amp for a fraction of a new one that'll last you for many years to come.