55 wpc x 7channels enough power?

AlanWinslow

I have an oportunity to purchase a 55 watt x 7 custom built gainclone amp for my Home Theater. I do like the smooth, musical sound of the Gainclone amps. In my HT system I have RB75 fronts + subs, RC7 Center and RS7 Surrounds. Will the 55 watts be enough? I have Lascala IIs for my 2 channel system with a 2 watt 45 tube amp powering them, but the newer design Reference series seem to be different in the driver design. Will the 55 wpc handle the dynamic peaks in the movies. Any thoughts would really be appreciated.

Sorry I really can't help you out. Any chance to hook up the other amps to take a test drive. I know I have heard of others using tubes for their Heritage speakers but not for the Reference line. Bottom line, as long as it's clean power it shouldn't matter.

I would really like to hear how the Reference speakers hold up.

James

seperate from which type of watt we're talking about (RMS, peak, sine wave measured, pink noise measured, white noise measured), it depends on the size of the room and the spl rating of the speaker system. You mentioned LaScala's so at least that part is known (104 SPL @ 1 watt). So now it's just a matter of room size and room issues. Only other info to throw in is the LaScala roll off in the 50 - 40 hz range. The value seems to differ with model years probally more to do with how it was measured rather than anything else. But if you're using a sub you would have that covered. There are a few calculators out there to predict how much power would be needed for various room size. The room sizes got pretty large as I went to 22 watts. Larger than any room I've ever seen in anyone's house.

Here is a sample spl room calculator.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

In my case, with no sub's, during normal family use, I seldom used more than half a watt on my laScala's or Khorns when driven with any of my amps equiped with swing needle type power meters. Some might say if I had ditigal power meters and a dedicated 100 amp electrical line that I might have used 500 peak watts (last for a few mili seconds). But I'm never clear how many peak watts an RMS rated amp can deliver. It would be great if there was a standard.

I get the sense a trap door is about to open.