Members Weekly Music Recommendations-March 10

thebes

Daylight savings time has caught me in transition. That or senility, because I thought I had mentioend this album before but teh search engine tells me I haven't.

Rickie Lee Jones, "Magazine" , lp, jaz/pop

I'm really not doing to well tonight because as I am sitting here typing I'm not coming up with any good descriptives other than it's fabulously recorded, engaging, mood-setting and highly regarded by myself, if no one else.

Maybe somebody here can fill out my albeit truncated review.

Sorry, I'll do better next week but right now I think it's early to bed for Thebes.

Well here is something that kinda' makes me a little mad, it shouldn't but it does;

LYNYRD SKYNYRD : STREET SURVIVORS - Deluxe Edition ................... CD ..................... 2008, (1977)

I'm a Skynyrd fan, and this album is the one that made me a fan, but give me a break, How many times are they going to re-issue, and re-master this fine album ?This is atleast the third, if not the fourth re-issue of this disc, enough. Have some respect, I mean really, when does it end?

Rolling Stone just did another review of this disc, and in my opinion, they don't know they're talking about. Of course fans know the sad story of what happened that awful night their overloaded plane went down killing 3 members of the band not 2 as RS stated, I think the female backup singer counts as a band member. Ronnie Van Zandt, and Steve Gaines were really the heart and soul of this Skynyrd line-up, and are truly big losses. So before I go any further, let me say this, This is Lynyrd Skynyrd FINEST work, nothing comes close, why you ask, simple STEVE GAINES, the Okie was simply the finest Guitarist ever to play with them. Listen to this disc, Gaines is the man, that Fender sound , so clean, so pure, what a talent. He was Cassie Gaines brother who stepped in to fill out the 3 guitar attack, and he just lifted the band with his presence. This is his only studio album with the band, although he did appear on their 2 live albums. Right from the get go of "Whats your Name", to the warning type song,"That Smell", just close your eyes and listen to the Okie, this is not Eddie King leading the boys through the overplayed,"Freebird", you can tell Steve is something special. This band was ready to climb to new heights, the future was bright, oh what a shame. I still, to this day, don't think Gary Rossington is that good of a guitarist, and Allen Collins,(R.I.P), stepped up and became a good guitarist with the addition of Steve, but they worked together, not the old all over the place guitars of the past. Ronnie Van Zandt never sounded better than on this disc, really, the whole band stepped it up with this release, they were never better. Street Survivors to me is the standard of what Southern Rock was all about, it is a finely crafted piece of music that is head and shoulders above anything else. If you only own one Skynyrd album, this should be the one. The ealier stuff was good, but pale in comparision to this piece of Music history. To load this up with outakes, remixes, and redo's is shameful, and a money grabbing sin, Geffen/ UME should be ashamed..........

Now I can't end this without saying this, some won't like my words, but remember, it is just my opinion, like them or not : The Lynyrd Skynyrd band that still plays and tours, and puts out albums are just a Tribute Band, that's all they are. They can't, don't, and never will fill that void that Ronnie and Steve left that fateful night. I hear people tell me they are as good as old Skynyrd, some say better, they are entitled to their opinions, but I think they need their hearing checked. Rossington, and Billy Powell should be ashamed of themselves for their treatment of Artimus Pyle, funny his was good enough to be their drummer for many years, and to call him a coward is wrong. Ok, I've said me piece, and I will go now, but understand, this album is a Great, and truly a Classic Album, their FINEST piece of work, without a doubt, and really, a must own album for any serious collection. Would have liked to see what levels would have been reached with STEVE GAINES aboard, but again, talent that left us too soon ................

This Disc should have been re-issued the way it was recorded the first time it was released, original set list, original length, no extra's at all. Remastered on the Finest Equipment available, and at a lower price than the new deluxe disc set .................

Excellent report OB. I tend to agree with you that most re-issues are for monteray reasons rather then cleaning up badly recorded music. It's understandable in a way given the transitory nature of most pop/rock groups. Here today, gone tomorrow, but living off of residuals forevermore.

Think Beatles and Michael Jackon's smart move in buying their catalogue.

The point that bothers me the most, is the whole write-up was mostly about Ronnie Van Zandt, and only mentions Steve Gaines as a Guitarist, just once ............ Horse Hockey ..... Steve was the STAR of that album. The more I think about it, 1 first release with Fire on cover, 2cnd release, fire removed from cover, re-issue 3 fire is back, 4th is now a 2 disc set ............ 4 times, same album ....... Let them Rest in Peace !!!!!!!!!

It is still a GREAT Rock Album, Their Greatest moment ........... A True Classic Album !!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like I get to see one of my new favorite live bands tomorrow night. The UNKNOWN HINSON! When you read about this band you expect a campy sideshow short on good music but you actually get a great show and incredible sound. His Hendrix covers are not to be missed if your lucky enough to be at a show were he performs one. PSYCHOBILLY!

http://www.unknownhinson.com/

star15.jpg

The UNtold Story of Unknown

Looking
somewhat like Dracula's nasty little brother who spent some hard years
drinking and working as a carnival barker for a second-rate freak show,
Unknown Hinson translates that vibe to his style of country and
western-tinged psychobilly. Hailing from Charlotte, North Carolina,
this red-necked crooner gained regional popularity with a self-produced
television show in 1992 and soon was touring nationwide, wowing
audiences with his outrageous and campy, white-trash persona and
freewheeling, sleazy tone. Hinson’s most recent CD release, “Target
Practice”, melds weepy twang and searing guitar riffs and lyrics that
speak of love-gone-bad and the dark side of the honky-tonk lifestyle.
Raucous, theatrical and over-the-top, Unknown Hinson isn’t just for the
trailer park set anymore!

He's toured with Hank3 and Rev. Horton Heat.

Billy Bob Thornton names Unknown as one of his favorite songwriters and
a genius picker. Matt Groening (the Simpsons) labels Unknown as a
guitar maniac (and funny as hell to boot!) Hank3 has Unknown's face
tatooed on his bicep! Marty Stuart introduced him as his illegitimate
brother at the Ryman in Nashville, and is placing Unknown on the front
cover of his upcoming book of personal photographs. Tom Petty came
backstage at a Hollywood event to ask Unknown how he gets his "sound".
The Rolling Stones invited him to participate in the soundcheck session
for their latest show in Charlotte, NC.

Unknown is also gaining notoriety (and fans) as the voice of lead
character "Early Cuyler" in the popular new show from Cartoon Network
"The Squidbillies". The first season was so well-received that an
immediate green light was given to two more seasons.

What do ventriloquism, hoola hoop contests, target practice, monster
sideburns, and hellacious guitar solos have in common? Book Unknown
Hinson and find out!

Catch him live.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Arkansas Inksplosion

Little Rock, AR
8:30 PM
Tattoo Art Festival

Monday, March 17, 2008

Phoenix Hill Tavern

Louisville, KY
9:00 PM
St. Patty's Day party -
Erin Go Braghless!
Sham Rock!

Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Handlebar

Greenville, SC
Get yur glug on for the weekend!

Friday, March 28, 2008

Patrick Sullivan's

Knoxville, TN
We'll be celebrating a belated St. Patty's day!
Hold onto your lucky charms!

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Green Street Club

Greensboro, NC

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Soapbox Laundrolounge

Wilmington, NC

Friday, April 11, 2008

The Jinx

Savannah, GA
10:00 PM

Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Earl

Atlanta, GA
Unknown Hinson show with burlesque troupe opener!
Feast for the eyes and ears!

Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Grey Eagle Tavern

Asheville, NC
Unknown's mountain hideout! Let yer hair down and enjoy!

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Safari Sam's

Hollywood, CA
Finally, a venue where Unknown can fire his pistol.
Troublemakers will be given free ride to taxidermist and hung on Unknown's studio wall with previous offenders.

Friday, May 02, 2008

Club Fred

Fresno, CA

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Canal Club

Richmond, VA

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Phoenix Hill Tavern

Louisville, KY
We're gonna start the fireworks early this year with Unknown Hinson!

Friday, July 04, 2008

World Party

TBA, KY
All Day

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Cruisers Showcase

Somerset, KY
http://www.cruisersshowcase.com
All ltickets are advance sale-
Cruisers Showcase is located In Oakhill Plaza
@ light 11 in Somerset
Tickets are available at Radio Shack in Oakhill Plaza.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Dame

Lexington, KY
Put on your asbestos underwear and prepare for to be scorched by the King!

Friday, July 11, 2008

Southgate House

Newport, KY
It's like New Year's Eve in July!
Guitar fireworks on display!

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Frankies

Toledo, OH
Hot summer - cool tunes and beverages at Frankies !
Come on in from the heat and let the King's cool waft over you!

Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Visulite

Charlotte, NC
Movies and Music!

Friday, July 25, 2008

Zydeco

Birmingham, AL
Oh hell, you know it's going to be fun - come on out and get a refreshing dose of cool music. Good for the ears and the mind!

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Exit/In

Nashville, TN
Git your arse ready for a healthy dose of nose hair singeing, bouffant burning
flaming guitar licks from the King. Leave with a new look and a new attitude!
Bonfire of rosewood and maple, with ash kindlin. Little bit of steel melted too!

Friday, October 31, 2008

Grey Eagle Tavern

Asheville, NC
3rd Annual Hallerween Extravaganze!

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Phoenix Hill Tavern

Louisville, KY
Derby Week !
Bet on the King to Win the Womern's Hearts!