Usb Audio - Pc to Receiver question

wsu99999

I need your help with a problem I'm having. I just hooked up my computer to my Klipsch home theater. I have DVI/Hdmi to the tv, and I'm running audio to my Harman Kardon AVR 745 via USB. I've been reading about the capibilities of USB for audio. It seems as if it is capible of providing 7.1 audio uncompressed (at least the bandwith is there for 2.0). I'm not even trying for 7.1, all I want is 5.1 - and it doesn't even need to be HD-DVD or BLuray audio compatible - I have seperate bluray and hd-dvd players for that. All I want is 5.1 dolby digital and other formats.

Does anyone know what I have to do to my computer to allow it to send 5 separate channels of audio through USB? There has to be a way. Thanks for your help in advance!!!!

Your computer must have a 5.1 audio card or built in 5.1 audio. The 5.1 speakers must be selected in the "sounds" menu or the audio software menu. Then usually you can use the SPDIF digital coaxial jack to route this to your receiver (if you have that jack on the back of your computer). If the audio card can handle 7.1 then the coax will also suffice for this. You can get custom made coax cables the exact length you require and be carefull of the "+" signs and arrows on the cable. I haven't heard of anyone here using USB yet but who knows. You can also use the "toslink--optical" cables.

JJK

Your computer must have a 5.1 audio card or built in 5.1 audio. The 5.1 speakers must be selected in the "sounds" menu or the audio software menu. Then usually you can use the SPDIF digital coaxial jack to route this to your receiver (if you have that jack on the back of your computer). If the audio card can handle 7.1 then the coax will also suffice for this. You can get custom made coax cables the exact length you require and be carefull of the "+" signs and arrows on the cable. I haven't heard of anyone here using USB yet but who knows. You can also use the "toslink--optical" cables.

JJK

Creative Labs makes a Sound Blaster "Audigy2NX" (5.1 and 7.1, 24bit/96k sampling at 102 SNR) USB which will does a great job (I've run over 30 foot usb cables to it (the unit sets on the amplifier). I use mine to connect directhy into my amps (the PC software allows you to do all the setups, including; balancing, eq and low pass cut off. Here is the link; http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=205&product=9103 You can get one for about $50.00. Another unit is called the "Extigy". I have had driver problems with the Extigy and Windows XP.

Hope this helps,

Don

Don

Creative Labs makes a Sound Blaster "Audigy2NX" (5.1 and 7.1, 24bit/96k sampling at 102 SNR) USB which will does a great job (I've run over 30 foot usb cables to it (the unit sets on the amplifier). I use mine to connect directhy into my amps (the PC software allows you to do all the setups, including; balancing, eq and low pass cut off. Here is the link; http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=205&product=9103 You can get one for about $50.00. Another unit is called the "Extigy". I have had driver problems with the Extigy and Windows XP.

Hope this helps,

Don

Don

I used Creative Labs Extigy with Windows XP with no problems it worked great and provided excellent sound quality. However Extigy has no drivers for Windows Vista, I now have a dual boot XP and Vista computer and had to go with another sound card since Extigy does not work with Vista. Extigy is an external USB sound card, I connected it to my reciever with a digital Toslink cable.

While I appreciate all of your comments, I think you are missing my question. I am NOT running the audio through a sound card - I'm using the AVR-745 as the sound card, and running the usb cable directly from a usb port to the receiver. I can't get 5.1 (I can get the logic 7 and dd PL2, but no real 5.1 sound. Anyone know how to change this?

It sounds like the problem may be with the PC. Are you using WMP 11? Make sure you select the correct speaker configuration. Check your audio settings in your PC control panel (they usually default to stereo) and change them to 5.1 or 7.1. What kind of PC are you using? I just looked at the AVR-745 - nice!