Worth it for me to go to separate amplifiers?

belial

I have read on other sites that you can really benefit by using separate amps to drive speakers, because, among other things, it reduces the strain on the receiver. Sound is supposed to improve noticeably.

But if my Klipsch ref. series are as efficient as they are cracked up to be, and my Denon 3802 already puts out 110 watts per channel - would I really gain anything?

Your thoughts, please.

This message has been edited by belial on 01-14-2002 at 11:39 PM

I personally think you would have to spend alot of $$$ to really "hear" a noticable difference. The RB-5's are already very efficent. You also would maybe get some better bass responce if you had floor standing speakers. I think seperate amps would be better on bigger floor standing speakers like the klf-10's,20's and 30's and not to mention the rf-3s etc that love to suck up watts and watts and more watts..... I have hear of some people hearing these speaker call there name at night wanting to be played 24x7!

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Kenwood KSV64 Bipolar Speakers

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 585 5 Disc Yamaha

Philips Pronto ts-1000

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

What is in your system, belial? I take it from Klipsch-daddy's response that you have RB-5's. Do you have a subwoofer? Do you do mostly HT or music or 50/50?

There may be better ways to upgrade the system than simply adding amplification. You seem interested in an upgrade/improvement to the system. While upgrading your amplifiers may have some benefits, there may be other upgrades that may make more sense right now.

Getting real benefits from upgraded amplification (over and above the Denon) may cost bigger $$$ for the benefits. I am curious about your system as it stands now - give us the list of what is in your system now - it would be helpful.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

Sorry dndphishin and everyone else--I don't know why I didn't post my system specs to begin with. My brain must not have been working right.

I have the RB-5s, as previously noted, the RC-3 center, the RS-3 surrounds AND a KSW12 woofer...

So you think I would be better off upgrading something else, rather than say, going to monoblock amps for the center and surrounds?

I have read that the KSW12 is not that well-reguarded ... should I think maybe about upgrading the sub?

I forgot to add that although I do listen to music, I am mostly interested in home theater.

This message has been edited by belial on 01-15-2002 at 09:30 PM

It is not possible to know what you're reading. It is probably overstating the benefits of going overboard. Most amps give excellent performance in our applications.

The separate amp theory comes up in two applications. Let's just assume you've got two speakers (left and right) and each have a bass unit and a treble unit speakers.

When "stereo" came out there was the need for left and right amps. Amp manufacturers put the two in the same chassis. The classic "stereo amplifier." Often they shared the same power supply.

Purists suggested "mono blocks". I.e. two separate amps with their own power supplies. One for left one for right channel. Each would drive the bass and treble units in the left and right.

Later, "bi-amping" was entertained. That was where a different amp for the treble and bass parts of the speakers were needed. You can realize that this would require four amplifiers if mated with the original "monoblock" theory.

You can imagine the problem with 5 + 1 home theater set up. You might have 5 two-way (bass and treble drivers in a box) speakers. Now you need 10 independent amplifiers. And one more for the subwoofer.

Right now the mainsteam is to buy an HT receiver. It has five amps to drive the five speakers. (Left, Center, Right, Left-Surround, Right-Surround). Then there is a feed to a subwoofer. The sub has it's own amp. That is a lot.

If you're prepared to go further it is a lot of expense with doubtful return in most all circumstances.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 01-15-2002 at 11:01 PM

Thanks, belial. I would definitely look at a subwoofer upgrade. I'll echo colin's comment that the way to get that firm low end is through a high quality subwoofer and large power amp combo. Truly good bass improves the overall performance of the HT system, but requires a good sub/amp combo. Many subs come with the amp built in, some you go separate (such as SVS).

A good upgrade will cost a fair amount of dough....$1500-3000 or more is not uncommon for a good sub kit. I recently purchased a Velodyne CT-150 (and at $500 delivered is a really good deal) but is really not up to snuff with the rest of my HT (Klipsch Cornwall II/Academy center, 5 channel Outlaw amp @165 p/c). Now that I've taken the leap into powered subs I've discovered that truly good performance is pricey and only offered by a select few manufacturers. That will be my next upgrade.

Check out the powered subwoofers section of this forum for more info on the truly heavy hitters in the subwoofer realm. Some models getting high acclaim over there are:

Velodyne HGS 15 and HGS 18

All SVS models

Klipsch RSW-15

Good Luck!

------------------

Try these two:

Velodyne CT-150 ($500)

Paradigm PW2200 ($700)

If you do try one of these, make sure it is returnable. If you can try one in your home at no risk, it costs you nothing but time if it doesn't work out. If the extra coin for the new one doesn't seem worth it, you can just take it back for a refund. Both are good "bang for the buck" units.

------------------