Headphone Pocket Amplifier

jkjome85

I recently purchased the Custom-3. I feel that my iPod's amp just doesnt do these things justice, so I have purchased a Headstage Lyrix Pro pocket amplifier from Penguin Amp.com. My amp has not arrived yet, and I plan on writing a full review on the combination of the Klipsch IE's, amp and using the "line out" from the iPod, but for right now I am curious if there are any people out there who have used their Custom-3's with a pocket amp, and if so what opinions they have on that combination vs. straight out of the iPod.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used my Custom 3 with my iPod video and a PA2V2 using a connector that runs from the iPod dock into the amp. I can hear a slight improvement but my little amp isn't doing all that much. I had it modified by the make to lower the gain because at first it was too strong for IEMs. It's better now but I still can't turn the volume very much before it's too loud. I would assume that a better amp would improve the sound quality but I haven't made a decision to buy one yet.

I do think it's critical to bypass the iPod headphone connector and get a cable to go line out to the amp. I can now understand why some people go away from iPod and to something like Cowon to get a player that is more geared to serious listeners who want lots of file format options and line out.

I don't have the Custom 3's but I do have the Images. I bought a Headamp Pico portable amplifer w/DAC(to connect to my PC) and for use with my iTouch. To me, it definately makes a noticable difference with a lot of material. The soundstage is much improved, and the headphones seem more dynamic with the ablility to really be cranked up. I thought they sounded good when connected to the iPod, which they do, but then i got the amp and it's like a whole new world. I think the iPod's and such don't have the power output to really drive the headphones at alouder volume. The bass hits a lot harder with the amp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I do think it's critical to bypass the iPod headphone connector and get a cable to go line out to the amp.

Yes it is. I purchased a PA2V2 from Gary primarily for our daughter (she now consider's it hers) as I could easily adjust the gain independently to use as a balance control as she has very significant hearing loss in her left ear. Some may come back after having her eardrum patched but she also has some nerve damage. So insanely lound to hear in bad ear I'm thinking she needs a balance control to at least somewhat protect her good ear.

Back to the line out. I ordered a rather inexpensive (about $10 shipped) iPod accessory cable that plugs into the docking connector and terminates in a headphone plug. I may have told Alea it should sound better connecting that way but was still surprised when she commented that it sounded a lot better connecting her iPod to the PA2V2 using the new cable. This from an iPod toting TEENAGER. I'm so proud. [:'(] A TEENAGER (female one at that) that notices sound quality.

Of course after attending Pilgrimage 2008 with me she thinks she needs a pair of Cornwalls - and we didn't even hear any Cornwalls? But she's realistic enough to know that Palladiums we listened to during a double blind test aren't in her teenage years unless Dad hits the lottery, or she suddenly becomes a teenage singing or acting sensation. Kind of late for that. She's planning on putting them in her sisters room when she moves out and calling it her music room. She's homeschooling so we're thinking her SCHOOL room. That said, Music is a VERY important part of a well rounded education. [:D]

She'll probably own Cornwalls before I do. [:o][:P][:(][:|][:'(][:$][H] ... of course if SWMBO 2 moves out and 3 come to the dark, er enlightened side..... there's hope yet for a pair of Klipschorns filling half our living room or office room or a bedrrom (if we have two corners...) And if SWMBO 1 gets too bent out of shape I can always remind her it could be better, uh I meant worse dear...., - remember that visit to Marshall's "Wall of Boudoir" and "Wall of Voodoo" And the as yet to be named wall of home theater or the Klipschorns and Heresie in his son's room....

I mentioned once that I might put the 8" / 1" soft dome tweet speakers I built in college back into the front room and more our Heresies back to the office but once I get the office better organized and more the TT... and she about threw a fit. I'm so proud.

I can see it now... beat out of a great find ... by my own daughter. LOL