Proud Forte owner

Romak

forumsI have been looking for new speakers and started reading here. I set out on my quest to find some Fortes and what do ya know! Last night I looked on Craigs list and there was a pair about 30 minutes from me. There wasn't any pictures which kind of worried me because he is in a college town thinking they would be beer stained and trashed. When I showed up at the guys location, it was a home theater store, I wasn't sure what to expect. As It turns out these things are like BRAND NEW!! There is one tiny dent on top of one and the only other thing I can find is one of the S/N tags is slightly torn where it is stapled to the back. (s/n 8774582 ,8774583) I have to admit after all the great reviews here I wasn't all that impressed when listening at their current location. It had hard wood floors, high ceiling just not an ideal area for listening(odd but true). They sounded lifeless. I asked him what his best deal was on them but he was sticking, I think if I pushed I could have got a few $$ off but I wasn't going to risk it. I debated for about 3 1/2 seconds and recalled all that was said here and pulled out $500.00.

When I got them home and got them hooked up, again....flat. THEN, I started working the volume up, and [:o] Little by little they came to life and they just wouldn't stop, I think I'll keep them. Next move is the cap upgrade and I'm good to go...well.......[;)]

I have this forum to thank for the great posts and comments...even if some of you don't like s/s.[:D] LOL

Romak,

Congrats on your Forte purchase!

Yes a capacitor upgrade can do wonders! And I have recently upgraded my outboard crossovers from Hovland capacitors to Mundorfs. An easy thing for me to do because I designed my networks to be able to audition any brand easily. The expense of my project was more than twice what you paid for your Forte's but I'll tell you I wouldn't trade my Forte's for any other Klipsch for what I'm hearing from mine right now!

As far as upgrading there are any number of people that can help you as I'm sure youv'e read on the forum.

Below is a picture of the stock network vs. my network.

SET12

sd530025hh7.jpg

I saw that Picture and just said WOW!................... then looked further down on the Post and Laughed that Michael is completely Speechless also. Wink

Thanks Guy's!

One of our Forum members SWL will be here in a couple of hrs to give them a listen as well as his first listen to a DIY SET amp of mine as well! Glad you like the look as much as I do!

sd530015yj1.jpg

I have a pair of '87 Forte's like you, and I strongly advise you to replace the crossovers. I did with crossovers built by Bob Crites. Amazing improvement. I'm sure others will chime in, but if you like these speakers now, you won't believe the improvement.

Good luck.