A flip-flop on my sub needs

Tom Adams

OK…..so I’ve decided to flip-flop on considering an IB sub for my garage/man-cave. Just shoot me.

Anyhow….I’m a bit foggy about IB subs. I understand the basics of what an IB is, however, it’s the actual implementation/installation that I would like some help with. I mean, it can’t be as simple as cutting a hole in the ceiling, mounting a driver, attaching a power amp and then outputting a sub signal to the amp can it?? I mean…

- My ceiling will be 5/8” OSB. Does the ceiling material need to be beefed up in the area where the driver is attached?

- My ceiling has an access door for the attic, does that door have to be sealed tightly?

- I plan on having just plain blown insulation in the attic, is that sufficient? Do I even need insulation?

- Is there an optimum location in the ceiling?

- What would be a decent driver?

I know I’ve joked around a bit with this and my last thread, but I’m serious about this project. So any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom

You need a manifold,and mount the drivers on the manifold opposed in pairs. To cancel vibraion(rocking motion)from the driver itself.

Forget using a single driver,it is not capable of filling a mid-to large room unless you have little expectaions SPL wise.IB blooms when four and more drivers are used,monted on manifolds. The manifold is not a must but strongly advised if it fits in the "dead" space.

Welcome to the dark side. All your questions can be answered here: http://www.ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/

Be sure to read the FAQ before you ask a question. Every one of your questions should be answered in the FAQ. To find the FAQ page, go to the IB Subwoofer general topic section and click on the first section titled Infinite Baffle Subwoofer FAQ Page.

- My ceiling will be 5/8” OSB. Does the ceiling material need to be beefed up in the area where the driver is attached?

For an array, yes. For a manifold, no.

- My ceiling has an access door for the attic, does that door have to be sealed tightly?

It would help, yes. The idea is to keep the front wave isolated from the rear wave.

- I plan on having just plain blown insulation in the attic, is that sufficient? Do I even need insulation?

Blown in is fine, however you don't need insulation for an IB to work properly.

- Is there an optimum location in the ceiling?

Yes. If possible, put a sub where you would normally be when listening to music, play some test tones or bass heavy material and see where the bass sounds "best" at the ceiling. That's where you put your hole. Preferably on the same side of the garage as your speakers. Remember, it's not easy to move an IB.

- What would be a decent driver?

There are many (see the Cults reccomendations) but I'm partial to Ficaraudio drivers.

Welcome to the dark side. All your questions can be answered here: http://www.ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/

Be sure to read the FAQ before you ask a question. Every one of your questions should be answered in the FAQ. To find the FAQ page, go to the IB Subwoofer general topic section and click on the first section titled Infinite Baffle Subwoofer FAQ Page.

Thanks for the link. Looks like I now have plenty of bathroom reading material. [:P]

Tom