Spinning Albums Again

tuned4life

A while back I discovered that the "Record Archive" in Rochester N.Y. got 30,000 albums out of storage. Most are used but there are quite a few unopened. Once a week I drive the 120 mile round trip and buy 20 albums for 30.00. I have found some real gems.

This got me thinking about turntables again. I had a Marantz 6300 that looked nice with my 2325 receivers. The 6300 sure was pretty but I never new for sure if I had the speed right. I bought a technics SL1600MKII and never used the 6300 again. IMHO the Technics SL1600MKII is a great low cost table. Full auto, quartz lock speed, touch button controls.

I recently picked up a Dual CS 5000 and a Dual CS 7000 (The Golden 1).

Over the last 5 years I picked up (1) NOS Shure V15 type II with NOS With VN15E stylus and (6) NOS Shure V15 type III with VN35HE or VN35E stylus. very delicate stylus. Very easy to break the tip off.

A friend of mine gave me a couple very useful tools for adjusting the cartridge on the headshells, A white plastic tool for Technics headshells. Just line the stylus up with the grove and tighten the screws. Also a paper for use on any turntable. Line the stylus up with the X and cartridge inside the lines and its perfect.

Of the 3 turntables I have I can't really say if one sounds better than the other. I do have to say that the belt drive Dual CS 5000 is pretty impressive. The Dual CS 7000 is a very sweet sounding.

post-18012-13819367290568_thumb.jpg

All your 'tables are beautiful, T4L...I can attest to the Technics being a solid performer since I now own my dad's '79 SL-1700MK2 (the semiauto version of your deck). And those Duals are perfect examples of what that company did right, especially that Golden 1. I can see why you're a happy wax-spinner again now that all your turntables are aligned correctly. Bet those NOS Shures have an awful lot to do with you grinnin' from ear to ear as well!

Enjoy.[;)]

That 5000 is beautiful.

Right now I'm spinning Zappa/Beefheart Bongo Fury on the Technics SL1700 with Stanton 681EEE- it's my old high school rig - I love the semi-auto feature, it lets me walk away without worry...

But it sounds like MUSIC to me! It's good to be spinning again. See my thread on 'surface noise' for some recent struggles and fixes...

Michael