Any klipschers familiar with BIB's?

masterxela

Yep .... I have some ... they were my first DIY build. Now that I have La Scala's my BIB's are in the bedroom and are not seeing too much use.

Mine have fostex FE168 sigmas. I really enjoy them and are a real easy way to get Single Driver sound. Plenty of bass ... a bit beamy.

I would say great for filling a room with background music, very non intrusive.

Posted Image

Yea, there is a lot of disagreement over which size drivers are the best, foxtex's in particular. I'm looking at the 4.5 or the 6, the 8's fs is too low, I don't want a 7ft thing in my room.

Is the .3mm xmax not a problem with the fostex's? That's why I mentioned the tang band and jordan, they have 10x the xmax, and just as nice fr, for the same price.

How did you go about tuning the enclosure with stuffing? Seems like it will be very hard to get to most of the enclosure after its up and running and I have a chance to listen.

What type of amplification did you use with the 168's? How loud could they play full range music without sounding stressed?

Thanks for the replies,

The xmax does not seem to be a problem ... at least for me ... I mainly used a modified T-amp ... but did also use a 100wpc Marantz too .... with them Marantz I really had to be careful with the volume as is could have easily blown the drivers.

Mine has stuffing along the internal baffle, the bottom and a bit of carpet padding directly behind the driver .... these are the standard places.... using poly quilt batting. All the sites you listed are the one that I used as reference.

I made the bottom of my BIB removeable, so 6 screws and I am inside.

I never felt they where stressed with 8 watts of T-amp running at 3/4 volume. Plenty loud for daily listening, but sure could not hold up to a big party. At 15' .... too loud for conversation without raised voices. Always a subjective topic though.

Too bad your not closer ... I would part with mine as they are not seeing alot of use .... they will make the front room again when I get around to refinishing my La Scalas.

There are pretty strict formulas on how tall the entire box is, and how far the driver is from the top. Ends up, driver height off the floor is directly related to the drivers Fs. Length of the expansion "horn" = (13560/2/Fs). So total height is half that. Distance of the driver from the top is L*.217. (From the zillaspeak site)