All those boxes...

wranglerguy

Well, if it's only space and if you have plenty of it, I'd sure keep the boxes for anything you might want to ship someday -- a lot easier, faster, and cheaper than having to fix up your own box. My attic is full of factory boxes, some from over 20 years back -- heck, I might STILL want to ship my Revox A-77 for repair! Should take up less space in the moving van, too.

Besides, who can argue with the safety and adequacy of shipping in the original factory box?

Well, if it's only space and if you have plenty of it, I'd sure keep the boxes for anything you might want to ship someday -- a lot easier, faster, and cheaper than having to fix up your own box.  My attic is full of factory boxes, some from over 20 years back -- heck, I might STILL want to ship my Revox A-77 for repair!  Should take up less space in the moving van, too.

Besides, who can argue with the safety and adequacy of shipping in the original factory box?

I've had plenty of original factory boxes that I'd say were totally inadequate - Devore speakers is the 1st that jumps to mind. A simple single cardboard box, a plastic bag over the speaker and foam inserts for the corners. VERY easy to dent the speaker. Horrible original box. Wavac and PS Audio, on th other hand, had exceptionally factory boxes. Which I threw away.

I have no idea where you guys find the room to keep the boxes. I barely have enought room in various closets and the attic to fit the EQUIPMENT I'm not using at the moment, let alone the boxes... the only boxes I wind up keeping are the ones the wife uses for packing up Christmas decorations.

Welcome to the Forum

I have kept my McIntosh boxes, they are very expensive to buy, $100 +! They also have the fragile glass, so good to ship them in. Threw out ones like for PS3, etc.

Still have ones from Jubs, but they are Huge.... Will probably have to chunk them, don't plan on selling them, ever. My kids will either have to fight over them one day, or draw straws on who has to take them one of these days...

Paul

For anyone that rents storage space, might as well throw them in.

One thing I've found that doesn't work: keeping them in the attic. In Arkansas, anyway, the temp and humidity turns the cardboard soft and they really aren't adequate for shipping after a couple of years.

Let's see, there's boxes for the new Samsung plasma, Toshiba HDDVD, CW III (with H III boxes inside- a perfect fit), Yamaha x 5, Denon x 3, Sony DVD, RC7, RB3 Maple (yum), iMac, Brother copier, iFi system, ProMedia2.0 computer speakers, Synergy KSB1.1 (4 sets). The extra inwall and inceiling speakers are upstairs filling half a closet.

But then I have 1000 ft2 basement and this room is for boxes and photo negative storage only. It's a luxury to be able to keep all this stuff, but it sure was handy last time I moved. Some of the gear is 15 years old and the boxes have served only 2 moves but I haven't lost a piece of gear to mis-packing yet.

post-10755-13819367642594_thumb.jpg