7.1 vs. 5.1 dilemma

InVeNtOr

Guest srobak

Yeah, re-center the couch if you can... unless you only sit on the one side of it :) heheh.

The 35's have been discontinued for a couple of years - but Klipsch has verified a run of them in 2007 for this guy and a couple of other distributors... mine all came with 2007 mfg serial numbers.

BTW - I have upgraded my surrounds (because I had a chance at a steal, not because the 42's were insufficient) - so actually my RS-42's are for sale if you are interested. Less than 100 hours on them, perfect condition, all original packaging and docs. Let me know if you are interested - I think my ad is still on page 3 or 4 in the garage sale section. Sound Distributors will do direct-sale & in peices, via paypal. Just email him and ask. :)

• Moderators

so something like this? the couch is 1' off the wall. the side surround speakers are on a 36" pedistal. (same rf-82 speakers pkg)

Yes, that is almost exactly the way I had it setup in our previous home. The right couch will not be ideal for sound but just make sure you sit down first in the back seat before your guests get the sweet spot. J/K.

just spoke to a klipsch technical service person and he suggest i put my rs-52's on the column and about 6' from the floor. (the bottom of the speaker is 6' from the floor)

he also suggest i go with the rf-82, rc-62, rs-52, and rw-10d. the other package he suggested was rf-35, rc-35, rs-52, and rw-10d. he really advised that i keep the front mains and center the same for voice matching. he suggested i stick with the rs-52's because the room is pretty wide.

82 set up suround change.pdf

okay, i need everyones best gut guess. i three options that i can
live with. two of the methods are the same except the rears are
angled. the cheapest way is to keep my current speakers, but only use
it as a 5.1. the other method entails buying the complete RF-82
package. i will say i am happy with my speakers, but that may be
because i don't know any better....lol

i know having a square
room is the worst to have but thats what i am stuck with. does anyone
know someone who can come to my house and tell me where to put acustic
panels to help the sound out? i tried talking to a THX installer, but
it was like reading one of "Mas"'s posts over and over again.....lol.
i am just trying to get the most out of my room.

the first option is the pdf on an earlier post "rf-82 set up surround change"

here is the second option:

klf 10.5 set up -flat-.pdf

Inventor,

Nice picture.............but as Michael stated eariler. just do this.

"your SURROUNDS (let's abandon the term 'rears'), should be on the SIDE walls, just like in a REAL THEATER. Go to a cinema- see that long row of speakers down the side walls? That's what we're trying to make your living room sound like. Even with the sofa fairly close to the back wall, we can make this happen. Place the side surrounds on the side walls across from the front of the sofa. Now imagine the sound path from the speakers on the rear angle of those RS speakers- the sound will REFLECT OFF THE BACK wall and fake your brain into thinking the sound is BEHIND you! This is why you can ignore the rear surround speakers in your setup, they're really not necessary (IMHO). "

i understand that, but how can i mount the speakers that way? the rh wall is a half wall, and the celing slopes up. i would have to have the speaker dangling 3' from the celing. would i use pedestals? how tall should they be? i would be using the ksb 1.1's for surrounds. (as of right now). which set of surrounds would work better, the rs-52's on the column or the ksb 1.1's on pedistals?

okay i think i am starting to get it. i am a little sloooooow. here is the set up that can work in this living room. the last question i need answered is, what TYPE of speaker will work best? ksb 1.1 or rs-52 (if i keep the klf 10.5 series speakers i will track down and buy a set of klf-s5 surrounds). does anyone know the angle to have the surrounds at? a good starting angle and then adjust for room and ear? the pedistal in both pdf's are 36" high, is that enough? too much?

ksb 1.1 surrounds.pdf