How are these Cornwalls?

synthfreek

I found a local guy selling some Cornwalls. Obviously being able to pick them up locally is a big plus. They are in natural unfinished birch circa 1984. He says they are in almost perfect shape with only a 1" piece of the plywood starting to separate from one of the rear corners. Consecutive serial numbers with no mods or replaced parts. If that's all you knew about them('cuz that's all I know so far) what would a fair price be? I'm going to check them out Sunday. Don't hate me but I may buy these and put them on eBay since they're going for so much lately.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

silly, rabbit, tricks are for kids, you are not going to be able to part with these babies once you get them home, in fact, over a period of time, you will become a tweaking audiophile, these can be great speakers, if you love the horn sound, no, these are great speakers if you love the horn sound, where else can you get big old horns anyway?

Depending on the age, condition and model number, anything less than $400 for a pair of Klipsch's big old horns is a gift, anything less than $600 is a steal and anything less than $800 is a bargain. The old ones, models 1s with the vertical horns and original style crossovers, or the newer model IIs, with less wear and tear, can trade as high as $1100, though most are less than that.

The older models have the favorable B style crossovers. The B crossover is a 6dB per octave slope. It gives a more forward sound to the mid-range, more like the mighty Khorn. The B Network is merely a choke, an autoformer and two oil filled caps.

The newer models have the B-2 crossover known for harsh "glare" in the 6 to 9 kHz range. The B-2 uses a steeper 12 dB per octave slope in lieu of the 6-dB/ octave. The glare comes from a "bounce-back" in harmonics due to power protection for the tweeter.

Although model 1s, my 1982 CWOs have this crossover, so there is some variation between model 1s and IIs. For these newer models, the original B style or the custom ALK crossovers would be a big improvement and a large cost savings.

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

What does he think he wants for these? I just bought a pair virtually the same...."Y" s/n's....'83's? C-BR's. However, contrary to Colin's reckoning, my CW's have the B-3 nets, so it could stand to reason that these potential '84's you're considering have these nets as well. I'm not a 'net-man' like so many others here so I can not offer testimonial as to the B/B-2/B-3 comparisons. Suffice to say that if you indeed make the purchase with the intent to resell, do not listen to them or you'll likely have KG4.2's listed on e-bay rather than CW's!!

Hey Colin.....can you speak to B vs. B-2 vs. B-3 networks?

------------------

Ed

He wants $700. But I'm sure if I drove over with $600-650 cash he'd bite.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

With the popularity of Cornwalls, and the

prices they net on Ebay, and the way they seem

to be getting sucked up, I'd jump on it.

kh reported a pair on Ebay for $1850.

They are not depreciating by no means.

Look them over real good though, and always hit him

for less.

My geuss is, in about two years, the Cornwall

is going to be a real chore to find, at elavated

prices as well.

IMO.

Yeah, $650 might do it. If not, there's another guy trying to sell a pair of Walnut '70's era CW's on this BB for $650 in your neck of the woods. Might be worth checking them both. Maybe you can get them into a selling war and score them for less. Good luck!

------------------

Ed

Based on previous posts I've read here, 1984 was a transition year for the Cornwall I's to the Cornwall II's. Some had II's tweeters some had II's tweeters and mid-range and are referred to as Cornwall I 1/3 and I 2/3, respectively. And sometimes referred to as Cornwall I 1/2, although Klipsch never used any of these terms.

Do a search for Cornwall 1984 (both words) and you will find about 13 posts. Read an entire post as some are confusing in the beginning.

Be sure to take the backs off the speakers before you buy, to see what you will get.

Best of Luck,

Mike

This message has been edited by Good2BHome on 01-19-2002 at 10:38 AM