KSW-12 Sub, not working correctly/or at all

Krunko

My sub isn’t working, or at least
working correctly. I have it connected to my receiver via the LFE using an rca
cable. My sub will get power, and the light will turn green recognizing a 5.1
signal. The problem is, I don’t get anything out of it except an occasional
hard pop/thump. The speaker isn’t blown either. When I turn the volume up and down,
I will usually get a loud bass pop from it. It almost seems as if as soon as it
gets a signal and makes some sound, it just cuts off. I checked the fuse, and
it’s fine. My receiver is definitely outputting enough signal/volume to the
sub. If I touch the subwoofer speaker I can feel very very very low intensity
vibrations coming out of it. I’m guessing it’s reacting to unamplified signal
it’s receiving. You can’t really hard it, or if you can it’s hard to hear. I
turn the volume up and it doesn’t get louder, except I still get that loud pop
here and there.

I hope someone can help me I bought it
a couple years ago and I think for the past year or so it’s been like this, but I
didn’t investigate until recently. I’m guessing there is something wrong with
the built in amplifier. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

-Chance

Guest srobak

sounds like it is just crossed over too low. Set it for 80 Hz and start from there. Also make sure the gain is up sufficiently, but not too much.

Hey out there...I am having this same exact problem. I have it going through a yamaha hpt-5490. I have tried every setting and even reset it to the factory settings and started over....No Dice...problem remains...please let me know if you find a possible solution...

• 3 years later...

I know I am bumping up a really old thread, but my KSW-12 is reacting the same way. At times it will rock the house and at other times it is very anemic or it just doesn't do anything. I've tested the sub on material that I know will have strong bass, and it's just not responsive anymore on that material. I take it that the amp in the unit is failing? I know my unit is old, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I've used the sub on two different recievers. In the beginning of the problems, it seemed like the sub needed to warm up a little before the hard bass kicked in, now it's pretty much a paperweight with a red light, with a barely responsive woofer.HELP!!! Do I need to buy a new subwoofer?

DRC72

UPDATE:

Alright I tried replacing the wire and I got the same result last night, so I can rule that out..... Anyways I checked it again this morning using my satelite reciever which outputs Dolby Digital in a lot of their channels. As usual the bass was anemic to none, so I popped in a blu-ray that I know has a strong LFE track and as usual the bass was anemic. So I fast forwarded to a part of the movie that has the strongest bass output(the LFE track on this movie is very strong), and a huge pop comes on and the bass is roaring again. Now the funny part is I returned back to satellite, and continued watching the same broadcast earlier. Guess what? The sub decides to continue to output strong bass on satellite. It's almost like you have to work it hard to actually come alive. Now the funny part is it might decide to work the next few days, and then it will get anemic at some point again. It's mind boggling. I love the klipsch sound, but I don't think I'll ever buy a subwoofer from them again. It's to flaky.

UPDATE:

Well it might be a wire issue after all, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Anyways the first wire I purchased was not for subwoofers(clueless sales rep BB), so I returned that. Now I picked up the Monster ultra 600 THX subwoofer cable, and so far the subwoofer has been coming alive each time I turn it on. I don't even have to wait for it to come alive any more. Granted I am not 100% convinced, and the sub could decide to stop working again, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. Have you guys ever seen SW wires go bad? One more thing, I'm also using a Y connecter that came with my monster cable. It's connected to the L and R RCA jacks of my sub. I'm not sure exactly how much of a difference it is making. I'll keep you guys posted. thanks for the help.

DRC72

Well so far so good! Looks like my previous wire was bad. I'm 99% convinced, but there's 1% that I still worry about. Regardless I'm glad it's working, because this bad boy pumps out deep bass, and I would hate to lose it lol.

Well comparing the new cable with the old cable, I could see a big difference in build quality. The monster cable was much more beefier, plus I would bet it was shielded better as well. Regardless I'm keeping my eye on the sub for the next few months just to be 100%, but I think i will be fine.

Well it's a short lived celebration.....[:(] It started actually last week, when the bass suddenly became anemic, but it then came back strong, and now as of today it's acting weird. In the beginnining it was anemic, but now it kind works sporadically and it sounds crappy when it does. Odds are it will start working properly again, but by that time I will have thrown it out the window. I'll probably pop it open like you guys suggested, and see if there is any loose connections, but I'm at the point of being tired of this piece s h i t, sorry had to rant. Are the new Klipsh subs a lot more reliable? If I can't get this fixed, I'll probably buy a new one, but I am not sure if I am gonna get klipsh again. What do you guys think of the klipsh SW-450 subwoofer? Anybody have any experience with it? Thanks

DRC72

That sucks.... I quietly hoped it would last at least a few more months.......

As for Klipsch subs; I ony had one; a SW10. I never had issues with it except it was not accurate. (Very boomy and muddy).

If you are buying new; decide on a budget.......

You could go used; but that is somewhat of a risk also........

I just picked up a 12" 500w Infinity Interlude 120s. I paid $120....

Overall, my Emo is better, but I like sealed versus ported.

The IL can go head to head with SPLs and may actually be a bit better with HT.......

Epik, Hsu, SVS, Emotiva, Velodyne, Elemental Designs are all top quality reputible brands that most would recommend.

Decisions.... Decisions......

Good Luck.

So did I....... But after reading several threads and the many subwoofer issues people are having, especially with the amps, I'm a little hestitant to try klipsch again. Also I've already read a complaint about the SW-450 on here, so I don't know about that one. I don't think I will go used, especially with Klipsch. I love the smell and taste of new lol. i'm gonna give Klipsch a call and see about maybe getting a replacement amp, that's if they still make it for that model. Maybe I could use a different amp, if klipsch can't provide me the same one? Aftermarket possibly? Appreciate all the advice.