Speaker sensitivity confusion... Please explain!!

JEO

Hello everyone,

I am very confused about this sensitivity attribute of the speakers. I have Klipsch Synergy F2 for the front speakers and Velodyne DPS12 subwoofer. I am shopping for the surround speakers and now I noticed that Klipsch B2 and S2 have sensitivity of 92dB @ 2.83V/1M and 90.5dB respectively. Now my question is why these numbers do not match the sensitivity of the F2 (which is 95dB).

I know that, higher sensitivity mean louder speaker. If the sensitivity is different by 4.5dB, would that affect the efficiency of the surround sound system. The reason I am asking is because can buy Klipsch Synergy SS.5 online for about $150.0, approximately $250 cheaper than from Best Buy.

Any suggestions guys???

Thanks

There are several factors that will affect speaker sensitivity. I would recommend staying as close to the same series of Synergy speakers as you can and adjusting the output levels on your receiver so that all the speakers are outputting the same level of sound as closely as possible.

One (but only one) of the factors impacting speaker sensitivity is the internal volume of the cabinet. As speaker enclosure volume increases, the sensitivity typically increases. Thus, the Floorstanding models have higher sensitivity than the surrounds. As mentioned above, the receiver provides you with the ability to adjust for minor differences in sensitivity between Front, Center and Surround speakers. Same with the sub.

When sensitivity gets too far off (say 10 dB) then you're beyond the adjustment range of the receiver.

I try to keep all speakers in a system within about 5 db sensitivity of each other so you don't 'waste' amp power by turning down the most efficient speakers to match the system. However, remember that as distance increases, output drops. It's about 6 db for every doubling of distance. Surrounds are typically much closer to the listener so a less efficient surround speaker often needs nearly no adjustment at the receiver.

I'd recommend the S2 for surround, they have a larger woofer (5.25 vs 4") and more power handling capability. I'm afraid that the SS.5 wouldn't suffice for today's receivers, not for long anyway. You'll also have a better timbre match by staying within the same era of Synergy speakers.