Are the Integra DTC 9.8 and Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P functionally identical?

darthdave

If you don't get a response here, look over at the AVS Forum (www.avsforum.com). In the audio receivers/amps threads I believe there is an 8,000 page thread or something on these units. This was addressed in that thread, but I just don't recall the differences. I think they had to do with how they handled auto setup/room EQ, and a few other things...

For the most part I have not found any difference in the actual construction of the two units. The only thing is the large silver knob on the integra. You should check out the aforementioned link as it provided all of my info. I think that the Onkyo Pro is prettier. and like I said I have found it for cheaper too. Like 1400 bucks

Can you list the better components? I guess that is why I started this thread so I could find out if there was any difference at all between the two. As for all of the other av forums I have personally read I have seen no indication of any difference in component manufacture because the two brands are made by the same company. Its like a GMC to a Chevy,same truck different name. Also why is a product better if you can only get it online. Luckily for me I have an Integra dealer only two hours from my house so it wouldnt kill me to get one but quite frankly I like the looks of the onkyo pro better because of the cover that gives it a cleaner look and the plugs on the front are gold not silver. I guess its just preference. A detailed list of component difference if any or whatever would be swell.

• 2 weeks later...

DarthDave,

I'm like cybertec - my Integra isn't here yet either. Should be about 1 more week, I hope!

Anyway cybertec's statement is not exactly correct. The componetry between these two units is identical, with the exception of whatever circuits Onkyo had to add to the 885 to add the "Pure Sound" feature, which the Integra doesn't have. This is only a theoretical advantage to the Onkyo, apparently, because other owners seem to all report that plain ole stereo sounds better than Pure Sound, and both units have the same stereo circuits.

What I think cybertec is refering to, however, is that Integra claims that their components are "hand-selected". If that's more than just a marketing statement, it might add some audio advantage. But I bet it's just marketing gibberish.

I bought the Integra because, unlike most, I like it's looks better than the Onkyo. And I got a better price on the Integra. And I bought it from a "local" dealer (80 miles away). There are no Onkyo Pro dealers anywhere in my state and the on-line Onkyo guys are always out of stock.

I surely hope these are as great as advertised - I am downgrading from a Theta Cassablanca III, and I hope I'm not too disappointed.

Thanks for that man. I have an integra dealer about 100 miles from here so I may end up with one as well as it will probably end up being cheaper for me as well. It might be a while before I get one though as money is slightly tight these days. Maybe congress can pass another tax bill soon to relieve me of the rest of my money and redistribute for me.