Tone controls

I havent used tone controls in years and have not missed them once. A bad recording is a bad recording and tone controls ( IMHO) will not make it better. Do I like my system so much because of the lack of tone controls? Cant say. I do know that I really really like my set up and I dont have em! And I do like my set up because of clarity, transparency, and spaciousness so in my mind I'm thinking there is a connection.

Josh

Absolutely agree with enjoying the freedom of choice on this subject. I've made a dozen preamps without tone controls with the very idea that the added required circuitry would amount to a compromise. I've also used preamps designed by smaller-scale companies that sounded very good without them. I'm using a small solid state preamp right now with bass and treble controls, and its performance is unquestionably in keeping with the best all-vacuum tube (including rectification) line stages I've used that didn't have tone adjustment options. Others may disagree with that (although the ears in question are my own), and that's fine.

There are also many high-end line stage designs that include bass and treble controls, so it seems we are in the position to make our own choice in the matter.

I've also made and used ICs with horrible cap/foot specs, and found longer runs, particularly in the presence of high output impedances, to behave very much like turning a treble control to the left of flat.

Clarity is important to me, as well, and having the ability to adjust highs and lows a bit is something I would rather do with than without. ANY circuit (regardless of whether it has tone controls or not) will add a certain coloration; we can choose the colors we prefer.

Erik

One thing seems certain - some people here use tone controls, some don't. It's also apparent that none of the replies to this thread promote or suggest the use of interconnects for adjusting tonal balance. This tells me that most folks on this forum are rationalists, interested in good sound reproduction, and know how to get good results. The loudspeaker/room is the most important factor in good sound reproduction and we here have the best.