1985 Cornwalls

bliss53

I have a pair of Quartets that I really enjoy with my tube amp. Because I enjoy the quartets, I could not resist getting a 1985 pair or Cornwalls that I plan to refurbish and re-veneer. I notice that both tweeter are not audible. I thought it was strange that both would be out. I would think that one would go before the other. Do the crossovers fail over time? I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous. Any suggestions on how to diagnose to determine what to repair/replace?

Also these were oiled oak that were allowed to dry out. Some long chip sections of the narrow front edge banding are missing. The veneer appears to have a reinforcing backing. Any trick to removing the veneer?

Once I figure out the upload process I will post some pictures.

Thanks.

Before doing anything drastic check all of the connections at the crossovers. Before disconnecting anything take digital photos of the existing connections so that you can get everthing properly reconnected. Then disconnect one of the tweeters at the crossover.

Use a AA battery to confirm operation. Hold the negative lead (polarity really doesn't matter for this test) against the bottom of the batter and then scratch the positive lead on the positve terminal of the battery, If the voice coil is good you will hear scratching from the tweeter; if not, you won't. If the tweeters work during this test, then one by one, discinnect, clean and reconnect each lead at the crossover.

If the tweeters don't work, contact Bob Crites (BEC on this forum) regarding some tweeter options. You should also ask him about new capacitors for the crossovers.

You'll enjoy your Corwalls for years.

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I did take the back off of one of the speakers to look for anything obvious. All connections were snug and looked clean. It seems as though I might have been the first one inside these. No marks on or around the screws and the back was very tight. I will try the battery trick when I get home on Thursday and post.

Does anyone have any experience moving from the quartets to the cornwalls? What should I expect?

Should I change out the binding posts? I saw some ebay adapters for banana plugs. Does anyone have any experience with these adapters (http://cgi.ebay.com/ADAPTERS-MCINTOSH-FISHER-EICO-Old-AMP-BANANA-PLUG-SPADE_W0QQitemZ370055151825QQihZ024QQcategoryZ39783QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)?

I have 84's and just changed Crossovers, and Tweeters from Bob Crites, all I can say is "WOW", those are some Fine Speakers, money well spent, will never look back now. Get ahold of Mr. Crites, he'll guide you through, Nice Man, and quick delivery of parts ...... You won't be sorry you did it !!!!

bobcrites@gmail.com ............................ website ... www.critesspeakers.com

Any advice on the best bank for the buck upgrades I should include in my restoration?

Thanks

The biggest difference you will notice going from the Quartets to the Cornwalls is the bass extension. The Cornwalls are slightly more efficient, and they have much more bass output.

I always recommend you go with the stock speaker for a while first, then work in the upgrades one at a time, over time. I would check the tweeters to make sure they are blown, and if they are, have Bob Crites repair them for you. You could also have Bob send you a cap kit for the crossovers. But that's it. Try them that way for a while and see what you think.

Money spent to repair the tweeters is recoverable by selling them for different tweeters if you decide to go that route.

Greg