Thoughts on the Yamaha RX-V463 receiver?

Hi I'm getting a pair of RF-52s and an RC-52 and the sales guy in Tweeter recommended the RX-V463 as a good receiver at my price point ($275 - $350). I only plan to upgrade to 5.1 (no 7.1) and only need the sound in one room. I will be hooking a computer up to the receiver to deliver the sound. Any thoughts on this receiver or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

The RX-V463 will likely serve you well. There are quite a few forum members, including myself, using Yamaha AV receivers in their systems.

Keep in mind, though, that this year's budget may seem too conservative before long. If you plan on never upgrading, it makes sense to put together a system with all the pieces being of comparable quality and performance, but if you think you might want more down the road, a few hundred dollars more would move you up the range of receivers and might cost less in the long run.

Thanks for the reply. I do not plan on upgrading from the 52s for a while. I plan to add a sub-10 and a pair of surrounds in a few months though. Would this receiver work well for that? By spending a couple more hundred dollars what features/improvements would I be buying keeping in mind I have no need for 7.1 or multi-zone setups?

Thanks

By spending a couple more hundred dollars what features/improvements would I be buying keeping in mind I have no need for 7.1 or multi-zone setups?

More power and maybe a phono input. If both of those are irrelevant to you, the 463 would be fine for you.

However, if you hang around here for a while, you'll learn all kinds of reasons why you should buy more and bigger speakers, then better electronics to drive them, and so on and so on... [:P]

However, if you hang around here for a while, you'll learn all kinds of reasons why you should buy more and bigger speakers, then better electronics to drive them, and so on and so on... Stick out tongue

Totally agree – this site is very infectious Though it is because of this site I have changed my system around to sound much better, learnt all about separates re preouts to power amps, the list goes on.