Ideas for a small sized setup

pretzelb

I was thinking of trying to set something up in my small (11x11) home office for music but I'm not sure where to start. I use the office for computer work but it seems like using the computer for audio is never as good as a dedicated setup. However my room is small so I'm not sure a small pair of bookshelf speakers would work since I'd need at least a receiver to go with it and they aren't exactly tiny in most cases. I probably should just look into a DAC for the pc and some Promedia but I wanted to check for some creative ideas that maybe I'm not aware of.

That would be a job for Frazier Super Monte Carlos or Super Midgets if you want super clean sound like the big boys, but just less of it and don't mind waiting for a clean pair on Ebay. Up until a year ago they were going for 35.00 a pair...but those days are over. They are still bargains IMHO. A Panasonic SA XR 25 used is very small(c. 3"X16 or so), offers excellent sound, and puts out almost no heat. T-Amp from parts express would work as well, especially from the outputs from a computer if you use that as source.

There are also plenty of small, dirt cheap receivers on EBay. Haven't checked in a while, but Radio Shack used to make some miniature ones.

Other small, cheap decent speakers are the Radio Shack Minimus metal ones. Not sure they still make them but you might find them used and cheap.

I've an Advent powered satellite/sub system I got with a high end computer a number of years ago that I really like the sound and imaging from. I eventually replaced the satellites with Radio Shack LS-5's (Lynaeum omni mid/tweet) and I take it camping! Fine sound and very compact.

Lots of things you can do in a room that size.

Dave

I'd suggest Klipsch Promedia GMX A-2.1

This is one little killer system. I got one for my daughter for graduation three years ago. She's used it at home in her dorm room at college. Honestly, if this was all I could have in my living room I would enjoy the heck out of it and not look back. It sounds that good.

They are a steal regular price. Klipsch sometimes has reburbed units cheaper than the steal.

Any one who tops this in bang for the buck coolness, more power to em.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/factory-refurbished-promedia-gmx-a-2-1.aspx

I like the idea of a dedicdate system outside the PC but I think it might be a waste of money and space when I have the PC in the room ready to go. I could see spending around $200 on speakers and receiver if something caught my interest but that might be money better spent on the PC setup.