Help on the choice of the receivers.

Hi all,

Real newbie here. Finally got into the world of speaker hi-fi and I have settled for the Klipsch Reference IV family of speakers. I have been dabbling in the world of headphones and do appreciate great sound (currently own Senns HD650, AKG K701, Beyers DT880, grados etc.)

I just bought a pair of RF-52s and the RC-52. My intention is to eventually move the RF-52 back to the rear and have RF-63 or RF-83 up front. I don't ever need 7.1 or 7.2. Just 5.1 is good enough. I will also listen to music exclusively in stereo but do watch movies in 5.1.

I listen to a lot of jazz and classical and very little pop.

That's all well and good, but I'm quite torn as to which receiver to go with here. I have seen the Pioneers (NOT the Elite series) do pose a great deal with good wattage but no one here seem to favour them. Yamaha RXV463 and 363 seem decent and are definitely my front contenders.

The perplexing one is the Harman Kardon receivers. I heard great things about them but looking at them, NONE of their multi channel receivers have more than 100 watts per channel. Huh? Max of 75 watts per channel. Am I missing something? Will these do for my speakers? I've been reading and everyone is saying to go for a receiver with AT LEAST 100 watts per channel. What current HK models are recommended? I would like to go HK as I can get a good deal for them.

In anycase, any help from you guys would be most welcome!

Thanks in advance..

SH

When it comes to receiver shopping, numbers can be deceiving. Don't focus on the stated watts, every company measures different. I can guarantee you that a Harman/Kardon receiver rated at 50 watts per channel will play much, much louder than a very cheap receiver claiming 100+ watts per channel - plus the H/K will sound a lot better while its at it.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. How about the HK receive at 30watts per channel? I'm trying to just go for a 5.1 receiver and the AVR154 seems to be pretty good but it is only 30 watts per channel! Will that drive the RF-52s and eventually the RF-83s?

Thanks,

SH

For the HK FAMILY you should look at Model 247 and up price wise. Go to the HK website and get a model that's a Refubrished model. Full Warranty and free shipping..........Good Luck.

Really? I was checking the HK website and I don't see the 247 in the model lineup now. Only the 245 or teh 345.

Where can I find the 247?

Thanks

SH

I have heard good things about the outlaw recievers, preamps and amps. I am told they can be bright sounding. I have several friends who believe the pioneer elite is the best quality for the money. I have an Onkyo that I have no audio complaints with, but the HDMI switching with my projector causes me problems. I have an 8 year old HK in my bedroom that sounds good but the setting menus drive me crazy. Good luck.

I just bought a Denon AVR3805 off ebay last night for $336 +$40shipping. Can't beat the price and I have seen nothing but great reviews about them. Gonna be hooked to 4 Fortes, kg2.2 center and a sub-12. Can't wait to get it here!