Crossover Frequency for New HT System w/Rf83

Mark O

I just upgraded my speaker system in my HT and was wondering what crossover frequency I should use. I am able to independently set each speaker. My setup will be powered by the Denon 3808 which has 130 watts per channel. I am clueless when it comes to the crossover freq and want to ensure that I get the best sound possible out of the speakers. I will be hooking up:

RF83's for the fronts

RC 64 for the center

RS 62 for the rears

Sub is a SVS Ultra PB 13 - 750 watts of power

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The speakers arrive on Friday and I am ready to get them hooked up correctly and calibrated as soon as possible since these are a huge upgrade from my current system.

Thanks

Mark

• Moderators

Hey Mark. Does your Denon have a mic calibration software? My Onkyo has a mic that you hook up to it, run a test and it configures the settings for you according to your room acoustics. Here is how mine is setup:

Front Crossover - 90 Hz
LFE Crossover - 80 Hz (THX

Levels
Bass - 0db
Treble - +3 (I changed this setting due to personal preference)
Left +4
Right +3
Sub -4

EQ Settings
Left Settings
80 Hz +5
200 Hz +3
500 Hz +2
1.25 kHz +4
5 kHz -1

Right Settings
80 Hz +1
200 Hz -2
500 Hz +4
1.25 kHz +3
5 kHz -1

Sub EQ Settings
40 Hz -6
60 Hz -4
100 Hz +6

I don't fully understand how or why the setup configured the EQ settings but it sounds better than what I tried using the manual settings so I left it at that.

On the back of my Velodyne 15" sub, I have the crossover at 80 Hz.

I have the Front Speakers set to Small so they send the low frequencies to the sub.

I'm happy for ya man. That's a rockin system. After we get the house built, I will be saving for the rest of my RF-83 system. Can't wait. Definitely post some pics of your setup. I got a little excited with mine and took photos of me unpackaging them. My wife thought I was nuts...probably am. LOL.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators

I would try running everything at 80hz. Your sub should be run at or around 120hz.

To me, 120 hz is way to high for my taste. To me, I do not prefer my sub to handle a lot of the mid bass frequencies. I keep the xover on my sub set between 70 hz and 80 hz.

Set all your speakers to 80Hz. It will keep the localization of the sub consistent between all the speakers. It's the frequency the studio was using and is expecting you to use.

As far as the crossover setting on the back of your subwoofer, the LFE spec for Dolby and DTS is such that the LFE channel should handle up to around 200Hz or so (it's been a while since I've read the spec). Setting the crossover on the back of the sub can cut out parts of the LFE track - it will also cascade the crossover the crossover you set in your receiver, which can result in a hole in the frequency response around the crossover frequency. To avoid these issues, just set the crossover on the back of the sub as high as it will go.

The reason subwoofers have crossovers on them is so they can be dialed into 2-channel systems that don't have any other crossovers available.

Maybe you'll find this helpful if you need help dialing in your subwoofer:
Dial in a Subwoofer by Ear

• Moderators

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I appreciate it. My ears are untrained so it is hard for me to determine what the best sound options are.

Mark

Is that what it is? And here I was thinking I was just deaf. [:P]

I had the same problem with system at first. I put my sub at 120hz and my mains at 40hz. I have the RF62s and they go down to 37hz, but my sub should be playing most of the bass. I found when I bumped my mains and center up to 60hz the bass got more pronounced out of the sub. When I bumped all up to 80hz, the bass was awesome from the sub.