how to connect receiver to sub

frenzal

Hello this is my first post im new to the world of Home Theatre, i have just purchased a Klipsch Quintet III speaker system and a Synegry 10" Sub it will be connected to a Yamaha RX-V363 receiver, The receiver has a Sub Woofer output what kind of cable do use to connect this to the Receiver and where do i connect it on the sub

thank you

Welcome! The simplest connection is to use a coaxial cable that has RCA connectors on the end (they are the ones with a round sleeve with a solid pin in the center, not the kind of connector you find on TV coax cables (which is called an F connector)). You can use a VIDEO (not TV) cable for this connection. And don't let someone sell you a $50 subwoofer cable - any good quality VIDEO cable will do the job. Hook it to the sub output on your receiver and to the Left/LFE input on your sub.

Then, in your receiver's set-up menus, be sure to tell it you have a subwoofer, and then on the receiver set the subwoofer crossover at 120hz. Your speakers have a frequency response specification that indicates that is the lowest sound they'll produce, so you'll want the subwoofer to produce the sounds from 120hz and below.

Use the receiver's set-up test tones to set the volumes of all speakers to be the same. This is tough to do by ear, especially with the subwoofer. Bass does not sound as loud to us so we tend to make it too loud and it becomes overwhelming or muddy during a movie.

Enjoy!

center, not the kind of connector you find on TV coax cables (which is called an F connector)). You can use a VIDEO (not TV) cable for this connection. And don't let someone sell you a $50 subwoofer cable

I paid over $100 for mine - now i feel ripped off - oh well.

Use the receiver's set-up test tones to set the volumes of all speakers to be the same

Does this apply to the subwoofer as well. When I did my auto calibration the subwoofer was set to a much lower level than my fronts, centre and backs. Should I change the sub woofer level to be the same as my other speakers?

When you say "level," do you mean the relative volume setting was lower when you look at the settings in the receiver, or that the volume you heard was actually lower? If the volume setting is lower, it is likely because your auto-calibration determined that setting to be the correct one so that the audible volume matched the rest of the speakers. I would not mess with it unless it sounds wrong to you when you listen to it.