Hanging Forte II's from ceiling

Starrats

Hi all,

I have had a pair of Sony towers hanging from the ceiling for a longtime now as my rear speakers, Forte II's on the floor up front, well I recently scored a second set of Forte II's and I am looking for a "good" way of hanging them as my new rear speakers. I drilled the Sony's and put eye bolts in them but I refuse to do that with the Forte's.

I have been looking into nylon strapping but that may hurt the grills. Plus I am not real sure how to adjust the balance to get them exactly pointed to the sweet spot the front Forte's point to.

I know I will have to beef up the rafter they hang from and the chains that hold the Sony's are not enough to hold the Forte II's.

Has anyone out there done this before?

and NO, I am not married, why do you ask? LOL

Thanks,

Starrats

I hung a Forte as a center channel by building a shelf out of MDF, putting a molding around it to create an edge, and using eye bolts with wire rope to suspend the shelf. I set the Forte on the shelf, so I didn't have to modify/attach to the cabinet. I inverted it, and then used the screws on the bottom - which was now the top - (after removing the base) to attach another set of eye bolts to provide a secure attachment for the top (really the bottom since it was inverted) to the rear wires holding the shelf to keep the speaker from tumbling off the angled shelf. I hope this makes sense.

Hi Dougdrake,

Yes I had considered something simular, though mine would have the speakers on their side. I was kind of afraid of rattling unless the shelf was padded. The angle of lean looks to be about 27 degrees, kind of sharp but a padded shelf wth a stout edge could work.

Thanks much!

Starrats

• Moderators

It's not pretty, but it's strong, almost the angle I needed without hanging below the beam so it's not seen from the other room. Lag bolted with 3" inch long lag bolts into double 2" x 12".

Pic don't want to load will try something else.

• Moderators

Still can't get it to load, so here is a way to see them somewhat.

http://www.cyclonecj.com/dtel/home/index.html

And if you want to see how they make Cornwall lll speakers !

http://www.cyclonecj.com/dtel/dtel.htm

Look at the pic of the badge on the Cornwall, it's an optical illusion, you cant see the flat front edge of the cabinet.

The pic of the stone tablet wouldn't load either, I clicked save and nothing happens.

• Moderators

Michael you wouldn't recognize it, all new floors ( like your hall ), all new furniture, brick hearth and brick up the wall for the heater, new Italian Porcelain tile counter tops, new front door with concrete porch, buddy's room is no longer Spider man, now with built in desk and top cabinets to hold his TV and even normal paint colors,................. although same old speakers in the same old redneck neighborhood. [Y]

Holy cow dtel!!! What a sweet rig! Good for you Sir.

Those brackets look very nice, luckily I work at a steel mill, I should be able to find someone capable of recreating those pretty easy.

Thanks again All for the great ideas.

Starrats