Help! Promedia 5.1 dies after storm, with pic

ch1d3th

Equipment: Promedia 5.1 THX/BASH w/ 500 W sub

An electrical storm hit the area and blew a circuit breaker in my apartment. The rest of my electronics survived, including 3 desktop computers, a television, and gaming consoles, but the Klipsch's, which were connected to a surge protector, would not power on.

Thinking I would have to replace a fuse, I opened up the sub. The fuse seems to be intact, but there is a blue tab-like electronic part nearby that is fried. I uploaded a picture here. If there is any other information I can provide please ask.

My question is, how do I get a replacement for this part? Failing the protection of the circuit breaker and surge protector, shouldn't the fuse have protected the sub? Does anyone have a method of protecting their system from a similar fate?

You would probably get a better answer in the Promedia section, but that blue part looks like an MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor), which is what is in surge protection devices.The give their lives to protect your equipment. If you are handy, you could change it yourself, or call Klipsch and send it in to them to repair. If it did its job successfully, the fuse and MOV would be all that needs replacing.

Bruce

Unfortunately, the lightning strike exceeded the MOV's ability to protect your sub. Have you plugged it into anything besides the original surge protector? It's a longshot, but perhaps you're not getting power through the surge protector. But more likely, because the fuse is intact I'd bet something besides the MOV has failed in the sub. Sorry about that. Thankfully the rest of your gear survived. You may want to open up your surge protector and inspect the MOV's in there.

Good luck,

Art