La Scala

discusman

any comments on this ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1325463460

i've been looking for cornwall's but never one around my area - well this la scala is real nearby so i'm thinking about it. what do you guys say ... should I wait for the cornwall's or go for these.

also ... this looks pretty fancy compared to all the la scala's i've seen. is this a plus or a minus ...

Looks like they've been dressed up in Belle Klipsch clothing. Not bad looking either. I have not heard La Scala's for near 30 years. But I have Cornwalls & Belles. Others have reported that the Belle is very similar to La Scala in sound.

First you should try to listen to both, if possible, then your ears would choose which is more to your liking. The Cornwall will be more placement friendly, just sit them near Corners or Walls and you'll get great sound. Placement of my Belles was a bit more critical, had to move them further out in my room and inward from walls. The bass improved dramatically. Would be very hard for me to choose which I liked the most, as they're both different, yet wonderful in the music they produce. Guess I would give the Belle a nudge over horizontal horn mounted Cornwalls. However, it would not such an easy choice between Vertical Mounted Cornwalls or Belles.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 01-22-2002 at 04:06 PM

I have to admit that I've never listend to Cornwalls, but a friend of mine who at one time owned all Heritage speakers (except Belles) didn't like the Cornwalls that much as he found their bass section of a too different character to the horn-loaded sections of this speaker. I know that many people on this board love their Cornwalls, but I thought a different opinion might not do any harm.

Wolfram

------------------

Without music colour becomes pallor, man becomes carcass, home becomes catacomb - Edgar Allan Poe

System:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Alternative system:

Quad ESL 63

McIntosh MC 2105

McIntosh C29

These are pretty nicly dressed up LaScalas - their only limitation is that they do not have as deep bass as Klipschorns but the components are all the same. With the addition of a high quality sub you'll have great sound .... sound best with a tube preamp and records or CDs processed by a good DAC. They are heavy so picking them up will save money ...if you can get them for a $1000 or less (assuming they are in as good working condition as they look) grab them.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems