Reference vs. Synergy, what's the difference?

videoCWK

If I was after look rather than sound, I'd still be looking at Bose stuff.

So what is the purpose of a preamp though? Does it just apply more power to the channels you run through it? If not, what does it do to add to the quality?

Edit: And to ask another question, I read in a review that Heresies sound best with tube amps. What are those, and should I consider one if I get Heresys?

In your price range, a preamp/amp combo and a tube amp are unattainable, hate to say it.

You can easily tell which kind of Heresy it is by the look of two things: 1) the woofer. The I's have a smaller dust cap than the II's. 2) the horns on the I's are back-mounted, and the horns on the II's are front-mounted. I have no experience with the III's, but they're out of your price range anyway. It's pretty well documented around here that there's not too much difference between the Heresy I's and II's, so bear that in mind because the Heresy I's tend to go cheaper for whatever reason.

Keep an eye on the garage sale forums here and craigslist also. I'll take either of those over ebay any day.

Frankly, there's no need or reason to get two subs. If you find the bass lacking when you get them for whatever reason, buy a cheaper sub on ebay (I see sub-10's and sub-12's going for reasonable prices every day... great choice) or build your own using some stuff from partsexpress.

Frankly, I don't understand why people around here buy more than one subwoofer. Every good subwoofer I've ever heard can hold its own, and bass is not directional anyway, which is why you can hide the pedal division of an organ anywhere and still have your innards rattle. Klipsch is not the best known company when it comes to subs, so take that into consideration. I am absolutely planning to DIY my own sub one day because you can get excellent results for a very small investment.

Actually, a Buttkicker is a bass shaker. It plugs in like a regular sub and translates the nondirectional sounds into vibrations (well technically it should be "more vibrations"). I plan to get one as well as a sub. I wouldn't get two subs, I've had enough experience with subs to know that one will be enough, especially for this room. So, how could I plug two "subs" (being the actual sub and the buttkicker) into it without sacrificing performance? Or would that just not work?

I'll definitely be looking around for Heresies now, though eBay seems to be my best bet since whenever I search Craigslist for Klipsch without specifying a model I usually only get a few speakers, and I've never seen Heritage models (yes, I've looked before). I'll look there anyway though. Thanks for all the help.

And even though it isn't in my price range right now, exactly what does a preamp do? After all, they won't always be out of my price range.

videoCWK,

Don't listen to em kid!! I started my first job after school and weekends when I was 15. I wanted Klipsch LaScalas, but couldn't afford new and we didn't have the www back then to visit eBay, so the second hand market was nill... I saved up and paid cash first for a Pioneer SX3900 reciever, then I bought PRO-80 headphones, then REalistic Mach 1 speakers, then a Micro Seiki DD35 turntable with Grado cartridge, all while I was 16 years old, and I had that system in my house. Getting the speakers home will be rough, but if you watch ebay all summer while you save for a pair near where you live, or find a member hear that lives close, you might score a set of used LaScalas for $800 to $900. It is alot at your present earning potential, but you probably wont want anything nicer for the next 14 years of your life...

Roger

And check garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales, etc. A few people have gotten some incredible deals on great sounding speakers. Especially if you don't mind somewhat diged up cosmetics. I've scored no such deals but I've really only recently started looking. I did pick up 6 CDs for $1 each on my way into work this morning. At least a couple of songs I like on one sampler and some others that I'd heard of many years ago and thought I'd like.