When will I learn....

Blvdre

Picked up an Altec 416-8C from ebay, $135 shipped described as "tested, works great". I received the driver today and found that the voice coil is rubbing in the gap. No need to test, doesn't work great. What a PITA. Haven't heard back from seller, but this kind of stuff usually works out in the end. Still a PITA and disappointing.

Dammit Duke, I know. I just got a beautiful set of 902's from Bill and Steve, I was just trying to save a buck. Why does that always seem to end up costing me more? I guess I like to gamble, and most of the time it pays off, but when it doesn't....

I contacted the seller, we kind of tested each other out to see if we were on the up and up (and knew our asses from our elbows), and the short story is that he'll refund my costs including shipping, if I pay to ship the driver back to him. Sounds fair to me.

He said he checked the driver out thoroughly, no rubbing in the gap when it left. it wasn't very well packed though; double boxed, but the driver was face down with no packing under it. When a box is dropped hard on a flat side, you can't tell (unless you put those stress indicators in the box). Maybe that caused the issue.

Lesson learned...

You're right about the packing issue. In my experience, a majority of people don't understand what is required to pack an item adequately, so having anything shipped to you is a risky venture.

Glad you have a good result with the seller agreeing to refund your purchase and shipping. That seems to be a rarity on ebay these days.

A few weeks ago I was having an e-mail conversation with a seller who disclosed in his description that he would not be responsible for anything once it went out his door. I found this disclaimer sort of disconcerting, because as a seller I would take responsiblity for filing a claim for damage in shipping, etc, which is no fault of the buyer. Anyway, he mentioned he had been burned by shipping things to buyers who then claimed damage and substituted a broken item, otherwise identical to the one sold, to scam the seller. This scamming of sellers by fradulent buyers is getting all to common on Ebay. Makes it tough on honest sellers.