Image Ear Gels

BLSamuel

I can't imagine you haven't thought of this before.... but just in case Klipsch isn't already doing this.

I think including a set of the extra small ear gels with the Image, both the original extra tiny X10 and the new X5 might be a good idea. You could maybe even include the extra small in place of the large for these models ... though maybe some would use the large gels to mount the Image in the outer part of the ear canal.

That may be more of a factor with the X10 as the extra small gels are smaller (or not muck bigger) than the diameter of the X5 housing. Trying them out at the Pilgrimage with my daughter, she loved the Image X10 with the extra small gels but the body of the X5 was too large for a proper seal with the X5 and the extra small gells. Apparently the small gels were too large for her smallish ear canals. The extra small gels may be too small for the body of the Image X5 though it's entirely possible they may work with more people who require the extra small gels.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a very small percentage of the world's population that requires this tiny size. In a manufactured product, parts count = price increase. 60% use the mediums, lesser percentages the other sizes. The dual flange is for more curved canals, extra seal and better friction in those where perspiration is an issue.

Mounting the headphone on the outside of the ear canal is not in the design criteria. These are not earbuds, they are designed to be utilized close to the ear drum.

The extra small eartip was developed during studies of human subjects. In particular my adult daughter was a test subject who needed a smaller eartip than I had been designing to. She has small ears and ear canals for an adult but it made me realize that there are plenty of humans with ear canal's this size or smaller. Thus the extra small ear tip was born. That being said we have found that only about 5% of the populus we tested could use this eartip. It does work well with X10 though Ben, as you have noticed with your daughter.

Thus the extra small ear tip was born. That being said we have found that only about 5% of the populus we tested could use this eartip

Well for 5% it might not make sense to include with the Image models and may be too small for most users with the Image X5 unless my daughter's experience of the body of the X5 being too big isn't common for the 5% that use the extra small - may only really work for many with the Image X10. Just when I was getting excited about the Image X5 I found that it's too big for my daughter's small ear canals....

I wonder how many use the large single flange gels with either Image model? I think the medium worked for me with both Image models but I don't really remember. The thought is that the extra small with the Image models may find more use than the large single flange.

An interesting fact is that your ears keep growing your entire life!

So maybe my daughter would be able to use the Image X5 in the future should I be able to get some.... Of course I'm still not so sure I wouldn't take the Image X10 for extreme ease of use and absolute comfort.... @^#%~ should've spent more time comparing at the Pilgrimage but I liked the sound of the Image X5 better.

That said, my Custom 2 still sound pretty darn awesome ... even after trying the Image X5 and Image X10 they still sounded really good the following Monday back in the office. And I may need extra large gels if my ear canals keep growing. Maybe you should start measuring some ear canals for your own research? I'd let you measure mine at the Pilgrimages, or other times if I'm in Indy or you're in Kokomo.

I was surprised how noticable the differences were I heard between the Image X5 and Image X10. During my short comparisons, I think my Custom 2 sound more like the Image X10 than the Image X5. And with that short testing I liked the Image X5 better. Probably a good thing I didn't try the Custom 3 but the insane comfort and ease of use of the Image models, especially, the X10 is really enticing though I'm not sure the X5 loses too much of either.